Architecture Leap for PowerPC

Several, Jason. Cinebenchs, Photoshop benchs... It seems like while the dual 2 GHz G5 is quite a beast, the lower G5s actually don't bring _that_ much oomph... However, I'll wait another month, anyway. And wait for newer benchs..

Personally, if I needed a laptop along the lines of a PBG4, I'd pick up an EOL 1GHz at a nice, hefty price cut.

I've been thrilled with mine and I could probably save a ton of cash.

Interesting, they got better results with hyperthreading on than off, even though it usually hinders performance. And I wonder why they decided to use less RAM in the 1.6 and 1.8 G5's?

Jason,

The 1.6 G5 uses a slower bus, slower memory, etc. Also, applications really need to be optimized for the G5 before we'll see significant speed increases.

If I read BareFeats correctly, the dual 1+ G4s beat the 1.6 G5 in some tests, especially in tests where one would expect a multiprocessor machine to excel.

BareFeats also hinted tantelizingly that tests with the new gnuC 3.3 compiler (w/G5 optimizations) are showing significant performance gains.

And, even without optimized code, the dual-2 gHz G5 is very fast.

The G5 will mop the floor with the G4s.

Doug

Originally posted by dktrickey
Jason,

The 1.6 G5 uses a slower bus, slower memory, etc. Also, applications really need to be optimized for the G5 before we'll see significant speed increases.

The G5 will mop the floor with the G4s.

Doug

So far my 1.6GHz G5 has surpassed my expectations. And it can only get better when Panther and everything else catches up to it. Even in the classic mode it runs everything I have and boots classic in 9 seconds. And playing with recompiles the G5 is many, many times faster than my old G4-enhanced Beige. I've only just started with the IBM compilers but, they are extremely impressive. I may just try an see if I can get Eclipse to integrate with the C and C++ compilers from IBM I'm so impressed. As you can see I've been playing too much but for those who want just an example of it's speed, SetiAtHome finishes in 1.5 hours while I'm doing other stuff. I can only imagine what a dual 2GHz can do. And I'm still waiting for my 1 Gbyte RAM upgrade to come in.

I would certainly expect a G5 to trump a beige G3 with a G4 in it, since the beige G3's have much slower technologies than everything after them, including the B&W G3's.

You guys who have your G5's: :p I'm never going to get one with 10-11 hours a week at minimum wage!

The only thing the G3 had in it that came close to the internal drive on my G5 is the 36GByte 10K RPM SCSI using an ATTO U160 card had almost as good a Xbench score in the G3 as my G5 drive. I think I'm going to repackage the 36G into an external case and run it on my G5.

You'll either need a SCSI card for the G5 or a Firewire2SCSI housing. Both are not _that_ available, though. ;-)

Apart from that: The G5 is certainly the better processor than the G4. However, the G4 - in a dual processor configuration - still has its advantages. Right now, the one machine that I _would_ like is the Dual 2 GHz G5. But that's not where my budget lies. I can either buy a 1.6 GHz G5 or a Dual 1.42 GHz G4. And there... You see, the entry-level G5 hasn't got everything the higher level machines have. And the G4 might have an edge there. Still, buying a new machine of course sounds better than an old one.

I don't know yet... I think I'll still wait a little.

Fryke...you know as well as any, if you wait until January, that 1.6 will likely be gone and the 1.8, with all its advantages will be the low end model, and very much in more peoples budget.

Later,
Eddie

That's probably true. And I'm thinking that I'll either buy an 'old' 1.6 GHz G5 _then_ (cheaper) or an 1.8 GHz G5 entry-level model. Depending on my finances.

Originally posted by fryke
That's probably true. And I'm thinking that I'll either buy an 'old' 1.6 GHz G5 _then_ (cheaper) or an 1.8 GHz G5 entry-level model. Depending on my finances.

I always tell everybody to stick a couple of hundred on the sticker price to add more memory. When I purchased my G5, I actually put that in the budget. This is probably why I shy away from the more "powerful" computers. The $difference between the dual-2.0 and the 1.6 was a 1GByte RAM upgrade and two 17" LCD Panels (not Apple).

There is a rumor in the Club Macintosh Quebec magazine : according to a source working in a Japanese chip factory, the G5 processor for portables would be ready to go for mass production!

Besides, one of my family member (real, close family..) told me he knows a PC guy at work that has seen the new powerbook (big big company so they buy huge amounts..) and while he didn't mention details (G5 or not..), he said it was simply breathtaking!

Well, I take this with a pinch of salt but wouldn't it be amazing if the G5 PowerBook was to be announced at the Paris Expo??

Back