audio not working

matteo99

Registered
hi
i have a problem:
i have a mac book running with leopard
my audio doesnt work unless i plug the headsets in, there is also a red light coming out of the headset hole.
i tried restarting it but it didnt work id really appreciate if u guys could help me.
thank you

Take a can of compressed air and gently clean out the headphone port.

The "red light" indicates that the port thinks that an optical adaptor is plugged in, probably due to dust and/or dirt. Giving the port a good (but gentle) cleaning should remedy the problem.

If anything is just not working why don't you go for the replacement of the product rather than trying so many options but all in vain?

I hardly think that a malfunctioning headphone jack is reason to scrap the entire computer and purchase a new one.

That's like junking your car simply because you got a flat tire -- stupid, ridiculous, and a complete over-reaction.

If you meant replacing the headphone jack itself, then that's a better idea -- except for the fact that the headphone jack is not a "user-replaceable" part and requires soldering and knowledge of how to disassemble/reassemble the MacBook, which is not a trivial task.

I certainly did not mean that you should go for a replacement of a car just because it has got a flat tire. I think you have understood me well, don't you?

I think you have understood me well, don't you?
No, I don't think I've understood you well, actually.

You said:
If anything is just not working why don't you go for the replacement of the product rather than trying so many options but all in vain?
...when the original poster has a perfectly functioning computer. The only problem is the headphone jack that is interfering with the audio functioning properly. Every other portion of the computer works fine.

Your suggestion to replace the entire computer simply because of one, small problem, in my mind, is akin to replacing a car simply because of one, flat tire.

There is no reason to suggest replacing the whole computer because one, small part of the computer is not functioning properly -- especially since this is a common problem with several easy fixes available (even if those fixes don't work, the other 99% of the computer works fine, and I hardly think that lack of audio is reason to junk the computer and buy a new one).

Not at all ElDiabloConCaca. You didn't understand me well. When I said replacement of the product, I didn't mean the whole computer but just the headphone. I think it is a complete product in itself, isn't it?

Typically, the headphone jack would be referred to as a "part," while the computer itself would be referred to as the "product." Your choice of terminology confused me.

So yes, I guess I did misunderstand you.

Back