August 7 predictions

I'm pretty freakin happy about the extra 9 gigabytes of online storage I received today!!! :)

I still don't know where I stand on the glossy display issue. My father has a glossy display hooked up to his Mac Mini. Whenever I use it I'm impressed by it. It looks great. But I don't use it very often, or for very long, so that doesn't say much. And I have seen him adjusting window blinds from time to time as the sun moves.

I guess what it all comes down to is, glossy LCDs look more like CRTs, but without flicker and curve distortion. Is it worth it? I still don't know. I miss the colors quality of my old CRT, but I really, really don't miss the glare.

As for the new look of the iMac, I feel like Apple just felt obligated to change it. I was never a big fan of the old iMac design, but I think it was better than this. This one looks cheesy. Maybe it's the sharp edges. Maybe it's mix of black and white on the face. I can't put my finger on it, but it reminds me of bad 80s movies.

It's a pity the bare-bones, sup-$1000 model is gone. Apple just keeps killing off and reintroducing cheap all-in-ones. Make up your mind already, Apple!

iLife '07 looks good. I'm eager to try the new Pages and Numbers. I do wish Apple would come up with more creative names, though. ;) The .Mac changes are great — it's big enough for me to use for real backups now.

I was hoping for a little news on Leopard, but oh well...

I have to kinda agree with Mikuro, when I first took a look at it is was thinking, "aye? They added a black logo and an ugly black frame to what was, a clean simple design.

BUT, after looking a tiny bit deaper into the matter I think its going to win me over big time. I wouldnt be surprised to find out apple had future proofed these things for touch screen use.

What I started to find out about the old model is that I thought it was almost under designed, it didnt really have any attention to detail. It was one big plain surface, far too clinical for a company full of amazing designers who make products for designers (and the rest of the public). I think you'll find that this one, up close and perfect will look amazing.

I also like the idea of your desktop kinda 'floating' in this black space. All these concept macs people are coming up with suspend your desktop in the middle to nowhere with a glass frame (although it does look good). I doesnt really give you enough of an 'edge' if you know what I mean.

I think this is probly a 'transition' model. I was reading an article not long ago about computers and what not, and they were talking about how software quality isnt improving at the same rate as hardware is and that the GUI is lagging behind so much because people struggle to accept change. I think this goes also for the way people interact with computers. So I think there should be something amazing coming for apple in the next few years.

My prediction was not too bad. Ok, it's not a new strategy but a new iMac, a new iLife and a new iWork.

Well it's official, and I do like them.....except for the video solution. From what I've been reading online, the ATI Radeon HD series of video solutions are subpar in performance compared to what NVIDIA has to offer. Of course, this could just be under Windows (which is where it's failing miserably), but lately ATI has been falling behind in terms of performance and features compared to its rival.

As for the design, I like it. It's different...kind of reminds me of a ginormous iPhone. :p

I like that the Mac mini has been upgraded, finally. Wish they'd chop 100$ off its price, but I guess the time of a 499 USD mini is long gone.

I don't get it. So how much is it when you actually buy it? ;) Also, that'd be EUR, I guess... With the weak dollar, that'd make sense, I guess. German store says something like 619 EUR (with tax), though, so really: How much with tax in Austria? Could be worth a trip for Germans. :)

I don't like that they changed the imovie icon, I think it's kind of ugly.
didn't they say upgrades for other things were coming?

I don't get it. So how much is it when you actually buy it? ;) Also, that'd be EUR, I guess... With the weak dollar, that'd make sense, I guess. German store says something like 619 EUR (with tax), though, so really: How much with tax in Austria? Could be worth a trip for Germans. :)

It's 499,17 EUR without tax, and with tax it's exactly 599. But thats only if you buy it online. If you buy Macs at an Apple Store (for example "Tools at Work" www.toolsatwork.com) you normally get 10% off. So then it's about € 540.
Where did you see the € 619 (with tax)??

Attached are the prices for both Mac minis in € in Germany (left) and Austria (right) so you'll see what I mean.

I don't like that they changed the imovie icon, I think it's kind of ugly.

I also don't like the new iMovie icon. The star is way to thin.

Attachments

• German Store.png
    German Store.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Austrian Store.png
    Austrian Store.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 4
I chose "Germany" for www.apple.com/de, went to the store and looked at the Mac mini prices. There it was: 619 EUR incl. tax. But that isn't much of a difference...

These are two screen shots of the German online store - I don't know where you're seeing this € 619 price...

Attachments

• store_de1.png
    store_de1.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 4
  • store_de2.png
    store_de2.png
    390.8 KB · Views: 3
Back