Automounting Network Drive?

If you're using an actual OSX Server, there are ways to configure automounted drives on the server end, too.

Connect to the server and mount the volume. Then go System Preferences > Login Items and drag it into the pane.

The question was regarding Panther, which no longer has a Login Items area in the System Preferences (as near as I can tell). Instead, you have to go the Account pane in System Preferences, select the user in question, then click the Startup Items tab, THEN drag the the item you wish to autostart into the pane.

Seems like a step backwards for UI if you ask me, but hey. =)

Does anyone else know of a simpler way?

Coolgrafix,
All panther does over Jaguar is to consolidate these options into the user preferences. Behaves the same.
I however can not get this to work on my Dual1.8 G5. It had it working on a G4, but a new install on the G5 results in the items dragged in doing nothing on startup.

Does anyone have another way?
I have read on other forums that the startup items method is a hack and not a true startup login since you can't save username and pass as you could in the chooser.

Does anyone know the true way to make servers autologin?

griz said:
All panther does over Jaguar is to consolidate these options into the user preferences. Behaves the same.

Yes, I was just commenting that the new location for the Startup settings is too off the beaten path. Frankly, it's buried now. Still functions the same, just located a little deep for my preference. The move into the Accounts pane makes sense from an administrator's standpoint in that you can set everyone's Startup Items from your own login. But from the average Joe Home User standpoint it's harder to find... a big change from the previous method (10.0 - 10.2).

griz said:
Does anyone have another way?

I'm guessing you've already tried clicking the + button instead of dragging into the window? Other than dragging or clicking the + button I know of no other way.

griz said:
I have read on other forums that the startup items method is a hack and not a true startup login since you can't save username and pass as you could in the chooser.

Not sure what you're referring to here. In my own setup I have two volumes from the same server automount when I log in. I have the three other Macs here at the office set to do the same. There didn't seem to be any magic involved, and it doesn't ask each time for a login. Sounds like something might be whacked on your G5's install. =(

coolgrafix said:
Are you using 10.3.3? It fixed a lot of whacky things that happened to networking in 10.3.2.

I am using 10.3.3. It's the base install that came with the G5. The machine is 2 weeks old. From the start I could not get volumes to auto mount using the login pane. I will generate a new user and try it under the new user.

coolgrafix,
Thanks for the tip, now I can automount the drives and partition I want and don't have to repeatedly type in the user and password to access these drives like before.
10.3.3 is definately easier to deal with.
Also, Sharepoints recomended by bobw works well when trying to access my Macs from a windows pc.

ed

Back