AVI to DVD burned, but doesn't play on my home DVD! WAIT! There's more...

tahoekidd

Registered
I'm an avid MAC user and I'm using a MAC BOOK PRO. I burned an AVI movie using Toast Titanium 10 to be played on my home DVD Player(SONY HDMI NS710H). It doesn't play!

It plays on our sons portable DVD AND on our computers, but NOT the SONY DVD player!? I've wasted 3 DVD+RDL discs and the same thing. I even tried different movies. Same thing. This is driving me nutz! Apparently this DVD player I bought is supposed to play ALL formats. I don't understand what's going on?

Please help!

Thank you SO much!

If it doesn't play, then it doesn't play. You must understand that home-burned DVDs involve three variables--the burner, the player, and the medium. Not all combinations work. Your burner is fixed. Your player is fixed. So, you must find a spindle of blank media that work with the problematic DVD player.

I just bought this thing a week ago. It claims to play ALL forms of media and I find it hard to believe that it won't play my burned disc.

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, what do you mean by...

"So, you must find a spindle of blank media that work with the problematic DVD player."

"Blank media" meaning the specific brand "blank" disc I'm using...

Correct - you may need to try other brands of DVDR

Will that Sony player show a video that has been burned on a completely different computer? That other computer doesn't have to be a Mac, but maybe your player won't play any burned DVDs ...?

It claims to play:

DVD (VR Mode) Playback : Yes (without CPRM)3
DVD Playback : Yes3
DVD+R DL Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD+R Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD+RW Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD-R DL Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD-R Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD-RW (VR Mode) Read Compatibility : Yes (without CPRM)3
DVD-RW Read Compatibility : Yes3
JPEG Playback : Yes3
Precision Cinema Progressive™ Technology : Yes
Precision Drive 3 : Yes
SVCD Playback : Yes3
Screen Saver : Yes
VCD Playback : Yes3

haven't tried burning on a different computer though, don't really have access to a burner on the others - although as I said before it works on our other stuff. I can't believe that just "The Brand" of the DVDR would make a difference. Seems to me all of them would be the same.

I find that brand name players won't always play everything, whereas cheap players will. I've come across what I assume is brand locking.

It claims to play:

DVD (VR Mode) Playback : Yes (without CPRM)3
DVD Playback : Yes3
DVD+R DL Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD+R Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD+RW Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD-R DL Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD-R Read Compatibility : Yes3
DVD-RW (VR Mode) Read Compatibility : Yes (without CPRM)3
DVD-RW Read Compatibility : Yes3
JPEG Playback : Yes3
Precision Cinema Progressive™ Technology : Yes
Precision Drive 3 : Yes
SVCD Playback : Yes3
Screen Saver : Yes
VCD Playback : Yes3

haven't tried burning on a different computer though, don't really have access to a burner on the others - although as I said before it works on our other stuff. I can't believe that just "The Brand" of the DVDR would make a difference. Seems to me all of them would be the same.
You seem now to understand my original post. However, I will clarify what I wrote for those don't yet get it.

The list quoted above is a list of types of media and media formats. When I said media back in Post #2, I meant specific media--specific manufacturer, specific brand, specific model. The only way to determine which medium works in your player is to systematically test samples of each:

1. Start with the high end of a trusted brand.
  2. It if works, then try a less expensive line of the same brand.
  3. Keep dropping in price until you find one that does not work.
  4. If the high end of one trusted brand does not work, then try the high end line of another trusted brand.
  5. Repeat Steps 2 and 3.
It is important to understand how DVD±R/RW differs from the prerecorded discs that you purchase at Best Buy. Prerecorded DVDs record content in pits stamped in an aluminum film. This mechanical recording technique is very robust. DVD±R/RW records content by focusing a laser onto a photosensitive film. The laser induces a phase change in the film which, in turn, causes a change in reflectance. Some burners cause a greater change than others. Some media are more susceptible to the laser than others. Some players are more sensitive to the reflectance differences than others.

This is why you must pay attention to your specific combination of burner, media, and player. There is simply no way to guarantee that the specific model of disc burned using a specific burner will work on multiple players if you don't test them first on that specific player.

One more thing. Because the contents of a burned DVD are recorded using light, they can be changed using light. Once burned, DVDs should be shielded from light whenever you are not using them. Excessive exposure to light can turn them into coasters faster than you can say "Jackie Robinson."

Back