Avi viewing?

Jason

Eyebrow Moderator
whats the best software to view avi files? (divx)

is there a plugin for quicktime?

I had a problem playing divx files on Mac (well still do actually).

Yes you can get a codec for Quicktime but it Quicktime wont play the file like Media Player for M$ Win.

People say Mplayer is good to play divx files but in my opinion its not that great... well it does play some files but most of the time it doesnt work. There was one more... cant remember the name but that wasnt that great either.

The best solution I have found is to convert the .avi file to .mpg file. Try downloading the app AVI2MPG from - http://www.versiontracker.com

Then Quicktime will play the file very nicely (has for me anyways). I wish quicktime can play straight off the source file though :(

If you find a good program, tell me about it :~)

Video Lan Client, thats the one. Yeah I'm one of those people that VLC didnt work for me.

I heard people saying its a great app though...

Torz said:
The best solution I have found is to convert the .avi file to .mpg file. Try downloading the app AVI2MPG from - http://www.versiontracker.com

Then Quicktime will play the file very nicely (has for me anyways). I wish quicktime can play straight off the source file though :(

I have some self-recorded AVI files from a couple of years back that won't play on Quicktime. I'd rather use a mainstream player (QT or WM) because I'm fed up with trying out this or that program for my daily computer use. I hunted for AVI2MPG on versiontracker and drew a blank, sorry. Any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew Denny

I'm sorry to be a Grinch, but you really should do a quick forum search before posting questions like this. This is about the 4th time this question has been asked in a week. Just think, if you're having a problem, chances are someone else has encountered it and had it answered/solved on here.

Anyway, VLC is good, MPlayer is meant to be ok too. There are some files that you won't be able to play at all though.

Mat said:
I'm sorry to be a Grinch, but you really should do a quick forum search before posting questions like this. This is about the 4th time this question has been asked in a week. Just think, if you're having a problem, chances are someone else has encountered it and had it answered/solved on here.

Anyway, VLC is good, MPlayer is meant to be ok too. There are some files that you won't be able to play at all though.

Hey, Grinch, that's not fair! You really should read my post before you try to out-Grinch me! Please note that I specified that I wanted to use a mainstream OS solution (i.e. an Apple or a Windows Media), not an independent one. Here's not the place to bore everyone with a reason, but to put it briefly, I want a vanilla solution that works on as many computers as possible.

Please also note that I *DID* do a forum search and I found someone suggesting avi2mpg. I pointed out in my post that the download link given in the previous post didn't work. (and finding a prog by that name elsewhere on the web, it wasn't a Mac program anyway). Anyway, it seems that some of the posts seem to go back 2 or 3 years, so surely it's reasonable to ask again.

Let's start again, and Grinches please stay out of this :)

I've got some .avi files I recorded 3 years ago on a webcam with a Win98 laptop, and they play fine on Win2k and WinXP with all the Windows Media Players I've tried them with. Although my OSX10.3.5 setup decides they are ok to associate with Quicktime, Quicktime won't play them, and neither will OSX Windows Media Player. Is there a codec I could add to standard players that would play them OK, or a converter that would make them more mainstream for both Mac and Windows platform?

Incidentally, I've already tried VLC (even though it's not the solution I seek), and it keeps popping up the error:

main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `IV50'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

Many thanks for any guidance.
Andrew Denny

Back