Ballmer is an idiot....

mightyjlr

Registered
CNET Article

LONDON--Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, speaking to a gathering of reporters here, didn't pass up the opportunity to take several digs at archrival Apple Computer.

At the heart of his criticism of Apple was DRM (digital rights management) technology, which aims to help content providers such as record labels and movie studios control their intellectual property--or at least ensure all royalties are paid and copyrights observed.

"We've had DRM (digital rights management) in Windows for years," Ballmer said. "The most common format of music on an iPod is stolen."

He added: "Part of the reason people steal music is money, but some of it is that the DRM stuff out there has not been that easy to use. We are going to continue to improve our DRM, to make it harder to crack, and easier, easier, easier, easier to use."

However, Ballmer conceded it isn't going to be an easy battle to win. "Most people still steal music," he said. "We can build the technology, but there are still ways for people to steal music."

The Microsoft chief also claimed some domestic familiarity with the issue.

"My 12-year-old at home doesn't want to hear that he can't put all the music that he wants in all of the places that he would like it," he joked.
What does everyone think about this? I used to have some respect for Ballmer, but no more. To say Apple's DRM is not easy to use is like saying the light switch in my bedroom is not easy to use. I never have to worry about it, it always works. What an idiot. I'm sure Microsoft can come up with some DRM that is easier to "use".

<sarcasm>Obviously, if it doesn't belong to M$ it must be stolen (insert rant about 'lost' revenue here), and difficult to use. And of course, no one would ever put their CD collection on their iPod.</sarcasm>

mightyjlr said:
I used to have some respect for Ballmer
Really?? I lost all respect for Ballmer after his "Developers" (aka monkey) dance...what extremely little I had in the first place.

is ballmer wrong? look at your ipods people, is there any stolen music on it? "rolleyes" im looking at mine and all i have to say is "no comment."

as for Apples DRM. considering it only works with the iPod (by Apples choice i assume), one might say it isnt that easy to use.

yeah, MS is just taking pot shots at Apple because the iPod is #1 but never mock MS. they have enough money and will power to stick around and see whatever portable media player and DRM they choose become #1 over the iPod 10 x over.

kendall said:
is there any stolen music on it?"
Why, no there isn't. And the other 2000 songs are from CDs I purchased. You know what they say about assuming...

Attachments

• Picture-4.jpg
    Picture-4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 74
He's a moron in my book. Nothing he says has any value. The only ones who think he's God are the fools who go bankrupt trying to get their MS certifications. They live off of everything he says. Makes me sick.

Personally, the only one that was of any value in that company was Paul Allen. I mean, look at what he's doing now. Looks a lot more innovative than what Microsoft --and especially Ballmer-- are doing.

It's pretty sad, but I can actually picture Ballmer jumping around like a fool at a developer's conference in a cheerleader outfit. Makes me wish I hadn't thought of that after havinga hefty dinner <HuRL!!> ::confused::

I always though of him as Gates' henchman. :D Like he'd beat-up anyone that got in the way.

I'd like to write him a letter saying "All I use Windows for is to download my music that I listen to on my Mac." :)

I'd like to know how the iPod is any different than any other MP3 player in regards to 'stolen' music. I really doubt MS will come out with anything better on their own.

He sounds like a man who just came out of a bar and is ranting about how unfair Apple is to Microsoft or whatever drivel that has spewed from his mouth.

I think Ballmer is equivalent of a prime minister making the deals and controlling Microsoft while Gates collects the money.

mightyjlr said:
Why, no there isn't. And the other 2000 songs are from CDs I purchased. You know what they say about assuming...

well pin a rose on your nose! ::sleepy::

i remember a time when Napster was ruling the world :p

and i remember a time when Audiogalaxy had become even more dangerous...

these 2 apps (and later kazaa) wher all born and became powerful under windows :)

what did microsoft do to stop them ? (and im sure microsoft could do something, theyve done it in the past so many times) :)

oh and kendall. we know we shouldnt mock MS an balmer, cause ull start crying... dont worry little boy, go play with ur microsoft toys:)

and apple has given many ipod users the Easiest solution to have leg. music on their ipod. the iTMS makes it so damn easy for a 5 year old or a 70 year old to buy music it and add it to the ipod !!!

its a shame ppl like Kendall and Balmer get upset about such beautiful things :):):)

did anyone respect ballmer before this? :)
people tend to forget that ipod owners can (and will unless they are stupid or got very special reasons) put their legally bought cd's on their ipod to begin with. And most people who buy an ipod does that because they love to listen to music, and because of that fact they probably have around 100 cds bought during the nineties and the last few years. to buy 100 cds, or about 1500 "tunes" during a 14 year period you would only have had to spend about 6 dollars a month (that doesnt count all the cd's you got as birthday- and christmasgifts. all legally, ballmer.

Every successful company needs a nutcase. At Sun the leaders of Big Iron Unix, they have Jonathan Schwartz. At Oracle the leaders of databases, they've got Larry Ellison. At MS leader of well, you know, Ballmer fits the role.

Maybe if Apple wants to increase it's market share beyond the 'measely' 2% currently, it could hire some loony to be on the board and do press conferences.

But apple got that Casanova guy, the chief of quicktime or something, and he got a lot of crazy shirts, and until a year ago he also had crazy hair. :)

I think had Ballmer said that 'some' people still have 'lots of' illegal music on their iPods, he'd simply be right and we wouldn't have this discussion. Kendall: It's how he puts it. He basically says that iPod users are thieves as if it were impossible to fill your iPod with legally acquired songs. And he's quite wrong there...

its one thing being crazy and another thing being stupid, idiotic, and simply a fool with lots of money like balmer !!!

at least bill gates is damn smart, not stupid as a wall !

"We've had DRM (digital rights management) in Windows for years," Ballmer said. "The most common format of music on an iPod is stolen."
Yeah? So is your entire OS.

Back