Beeping while plugged into computer

cheekymac

Registered
I just got a new iphone G3, just yesterday for a data plan and all that and ready to go.

I have had it for a few days, put games, songs and so on on it. Last night I went to plug it into the computer and it started beeping and the screen flipping back and forth from the lock page to the battery and it wouldn't show up on the computer. I thought maybe it was just my computer so I shut down and went to bed but my iphone is still doing that this morning.

Anyone know what that means?

I plugged it into the wall hoping that it will charge and solve the problem, isn't beeping or doing anything like I said above while plugged in the wall.

Much appreciated!
Thank you

Totally new one. I've had mine since day 1, and never heard of it.

Try resetting by holding down the home & power button simotaneously, then power off. Restart after 10-20 ceconds.

If that doesn't lick the problem, return it for repair or replacement.

I plugged it into the wall to charge and then tried plugging it into the computer and has been fine ever since.

Strange, though glad. If it does it again I will exchange it (though just loaded all my music!)

Thanks

Oh ya, does anyone know what the symbols in the top left corner mean? First is the signal bars of course, then the provider's name, then ? Mine has an E most of the time, sometimes an O but my sisters always has a G3

The 3G means that you are connected to a 3G network. E would mean edge network (much slower), and O means no data connection (I think)
You might have your 3G turned off in your settings - you get longer talk-time with that turned off.

I checked it out and yes G3 was turned off for some reason, turned it back on.

By more talk time do you mean the battery lasts longer? That's what I read when I went searching about how ti turn it back on.

Are there benefits to having it turned off? Only negative being the net/downloads being slower?

Thank you

Are there benefits to having it turned off? Only negative being the net/downloads being slower?

If your battery runs out of charge, then you can't talk! So, yes, your battery lasts longer when 3G is turned off, and you lose the extra speed that 3G gives you (if you have 3G in your local area)
You are the best qualified to answer those questions! You're the only one that uses the iPhone the way you do. Your iPhone is special - it has your name and other info, and all those apps that you have downloaded....
Try both ways, and see for yourself how much faster the 3G connection is.

Keep in mind that 3G is NOT helpful to you if you don't have local access to 3G. You will have to check with AT&T (if in the US), or whoever your wireless provider may be if another country.

Thanks for the info, it's all new to me.

If I have G3 in my area I don't know, will have to figure that out. I am downtown Toronto so I would think so. In Canada my provider is Rogers.

Looking at a coverage map from Roger's. You have 3G from Toronto down to west of London and Sarnia - as far north as Parry Sound/Huntsville, then mostly lose that 3G west of Kitchener.
You can go to Roger's web site to look at more details about that.

Is your iPhone service from Rogers still so expensive? Canadians were complaining everywhere when the iPhone was first sold.

It was $80 a month which was crazy! I got a data plan which includes air time and so on with 500MB a month for $45 a month. Obviously doesn't include tax and so on.

Thanks I will look that up!

Back