Best 3rd party utilities for OS X...

I believe it was a MacFixIt.com only release. They had posted it on their website, since someone had sent them the program. They touted it, because it really is nice how it allows you to put specified apps onto a CD. I could potentially create a Norton Utilities beta boot CD from it (but it didn't work because Norton needed some other driver thingies that I didn't install on the CD). It actually creates a disk image from your current system (which allows it to be the latest system software) and then allows you to add apps, but you could actually modify the disk image yourself before burning.

It's here: http://www.macfixit.com/library/osxu.shtml

BootCD is second from the top.

Thanks SimX! I wondered if you had lost track of this thread. i saw you were on and decided this was a great time to get your attention.

damn, it is cold tonite on the coast.

i hope i can manage to make an updated drive10 disk with it.:)

Just make sure that if the application that you want to install needs extra stuff installed in the library and such, it would probably be better to mount the disk image after it is created and use the traditional installer to install all of the components -- this was my mistake in making a Norton Utilities beta CD.

Most of you should just go back to OS 9...after all the utilities you use are all aimed at making OS X behave like OS 9. Yuck.

BTW, if you want to switch to an application and have all its windows come forward, then just click on it's icon in the dock.

As someone who uses multiple apps, I like that I can switch between windows rather than Apps. Normally I'm working on a single project in multiple apps, and it's nice to have all the windows related to the project in front, even if they aren't from the same app. This is an awesome feature!

Icon Machine (or iconagrapher or Iconbuilder Pro) for custom OS X icons

Synchronize Pro X [qdea.com] (for those of us who need to synch files across networks or take-home drives). Don't waste your time with the others, this one's the best.

BatCHown (for simple graphical privileges changing).

Youpi Keys (for launching apps, scriptsm files and more thru keyboard shortcuts. A must have.)

Great job programmers, keep em coming!

PearCalc. A calculator and an app launcher in one, free. I thought it was a weird combination too, but I really like it. Also it includes a service so you can use it in an application. Nice!
Also the screen footprint is tiny. fantastic and free... yum.

-the valrus

I dl type it 4 me and when i got to this point i dont get what they mean "Now pull down the keyboard menu:

You should see TypeIt4Me listed with an icon intended to look like the A key on a keyboard: select it and a little icon of the juggling man will appear to the right of the A icon, giving you access to the TypeIt4Me menu options."

I didnt see no juggling man.?

If you wouldn't mind, add links to your favorite apps. I have never heard of ASM before today so i had to go find it. Looks cool.

Anyone making a label program yet? I miss em.

SNAX supports labels... I don't feel like having to buy another Finder though, and I never used labels in the first place ;)

My thoughts exactly :D
Maybe Apple will reintroduce labels in 10.2. I never found them very useful though. I'll admit I don't use my computer to make any money or organize things though either :) But when I do, separate folders seem so much better.
Also, XDarwin and Fink are quite useful :p

I never liked labels until i got my web job. Then when you have to keep track of pages you changed, and emails you send, and things that were final versions, i realized that labels rocked.

Also, there's stuff like wht comes from PTH software (lie PTHPasteboard, which is a lifesaver).

Dani++

1. WindowShade X - it's the one feature I truly miss from 9<. I don't even miss SPring Loaded Folders anyomore. The great feature set of OS X makes SLF obsolete for me.

2. iSwipe (www.hillmanminx.com) for file sharing through multiple services (the Auto Search feature is great)

3. RadioFree (www.xlife.org) lets you record internet streaming radio. It has a great and simple Aqua interface.

4. eFaxCocoa - free faxing software

5. Son of Weather Grok - fun weather utility. The update chime is out of this world hysterical/annoying

I know a lot of people seem to love AWS, but I personally HATED the application menu being on the right side in 9<. I am glad it is gone and glad those who liked it can get a utility to bring it back. With the combination of interleved windows, bringing application to front by clicking on the Dock icon, the window menu, hiding and quitting form the Dock,...etc OS X offers more options / functionality than 9< ever did.

1.) Fink
2.) Adium
3.) Mozilla
4.) Omniweb
5.) Tinker tools
6.) Graphic Converter
7.) Disk Tracker

I realize that some of those cross the line from Utilities to Apps but I usually think of applications as being work something you work on, like Illustrator or Electric Image and utilities that you work with, like using Graphic Converter to help with a project. It depends on the person whether you use it as a utility or app.

Back