Blue Screen of Death and Netinfo

emh_alpha1

Registered
I've got a problem with startup. It goes through its startup routines, and then when it goes to display the login window it goes to a blue screen with a pointer. waiting doesn't yield a login display - it pretty much never comes up just stays there.

i've tried a clean reinstall - configured and worked fine. was logging in and out of the server using netinfo for authentication. did a restart - problem came back again.

logged in with single user mode - last entry in system.log is a reference to trying to start /usr/sbin/DirectoryService - the netinfo.log reports that it could not connect to the server at 10.1.180.66/network (this is the correct address and netinfo db name - these work fine with netinfo manager).

incidentally everything is working on my other OS 10.2.2 system fine.

any ideas? at the moment i can't even get back into my system unless it's single-user mode.... can i disable netinfo if this is the problem so i can get back into it again?!?

thanks in advance.

emh

Most of these problems I've heard of are due to some hardware problem. What periphery do you use with the computer that is giving trouble ?
Have you tried disconnecting all periphery? Sorry, this may not be helpful but OS X seems to be most touchy with hardware (especially USB) or RAM.

tried removing peripherals - made no difference. verbose mode is reporting waiting for Directory Services so I think it is more likely to be something related to not being able to connect to the Netinfo service.

Does anyone know which files are related to Directory Services so I could restore just those files to their default copys without having to reinstall the entire OS again.

okay i've fixed it now - i replaced the /etc folder with a copy from a working machine. everything is fine now, and the netinfo authentication is even behaving itself now. still don't know why netinfo was not loading - settings were the same on both machines?!?

Usually, NetInfo writes to /etc but won't read from /etc. So I think it's strange that this solution worked. However it could be that some info was out of sync, although the settings in Netinfo were right...

However, if a reinstall didn't help, you should perhaps make a backup of those settings that work now for later use (if it happens again)...

Back