Bluetooth dead?

Bluetooth is far from dead. The technology will only improve. The foundation of bluetooth is found in many devices ranging from cellular telephones to cars. BMW integrates Bluetooth as an option into many of it's cars for seemless integration with your mobile handset. The question regarding this wireless USB standard is the power consumption that would be required to power it. Also, you have to consider the low support bluetooth garnered, what about this wireless standard? Bluetooth is becoming so widespread that I don't feel it will die. However, this new wireless development may be supported in other devices. Do you really need this kind of connectivity in a mobile handset? Probably not, bluetooth is ideal for this type of application.

Bluetooth is still a young format, so there's a long way to go.

One major problem with Bluetooth is power consumption .. it's quite bad and there are other similar formats that do a much better job and give better coverage.

That said, Bluetooth has the traction to keep it going and all of the problems will no doubt be addressed [ironed out] in due course.

Intel make me laugh, they're becoming how Apple were in the eighties with the not-invented-here attitude! They tried it with USB over Firewire and didn't change anything.

What's sad about that is Intel's lack of respect. Apple gave USB a market, without Apple's endorsement, USB might not be where it is now.

Another problem with Bluetooth is how difficult it is to use. Consumers often found it impossible to get two Bluetooth devices to talk to each other.

Maybe these people ought to get a mac?.. ::angel:: :D

How is Bluetooth hard to use? On Mobile phone's for example, it couldn't be much easier... You want to send anything, goto the menu, send via bluetooth, and search and hit send... How much easier could it be?! :confused:

is bluetooth capable to a faster rate but 4kb/sec? I don't see any future in bluetooth if this is best that will be. How can you use your printer or scanner with 4kb/sec?

Zammy-Sam said:
is bluetooth capable to a faster rate but 4kb/sec? I don't see any future in bluetooth if this is best that will be. How can you use your printer or scanner with 4kb/sec?

You wouldn't.

Steve Jobs made it clear how he sees these technologies working together:

WiFi / AirPort is analogous to Ethernet while Bluetooth is analogous to .. smaller stuff [forgot :confused: :eek:]

But you get the idea, right?..

Hmmm, I am surprised. I get max 4kb/sec when I transfer data to my t610. So, the memory speed is the limitation?
However, 25kb are still too less. I remember when they announced bluetooth, they were talking about keyboard, mouse, camera, scanner and printer running over it AT THE SAME TIME. I think I even read some articles about screens using bluetooth. So, how much faster can bluetooth get? In a time with more than 100mbit (theoretically) for wlan and UMTS, there is not much space for something cute like bluetooth..

i dont know the exact limits of bluetooth but it is quite reasonable :)

zammy-sam u get 4kb/s with ur T610 because thats how much ur phone supports. devices like the P800 and P900 get 25kb/s :)

Rondezvous over Airport/wifi seems like a logical companion for high bandwidth needs. Bluetooth is fine for cell phones and keyboards but when you need higher wireless bandwidth wifi is the way to go. How much bandwidth do you need - firewireless 800? The only time you need the huge bandwidth is when you first load or sync something like an iPod. iPod will not go wireless because there is no point. You can only sync it with your own registered computers because of the DRM protection. A minute or two to sync a palm or phone is fast enough.

Though limited in scope [thankfully] and manufacturer-specfic, this kind of thing isn't going to help with the image of Bluetooth...

if it comes to the disc to disc transfer, which is currently the only need for as much bandwidth as possible, even the firewire 400 will no more be the limitation. There are just a few 10.000rpm spinning discs that can be faster than 50mb/sec (max speed of firewire 400). But what is more interesting about huge bandwidths is the ability to connect more devices at the same root. And this was what they were dreaming of once bluetooth started to get known. But obviously this was just a dream. bluetooth is just good for simple devices such as cells, mouse and keyboard. Btw, how fast is the latency of bluetooth? In the case of the mouse, there is no need for huge bandwidth but very fast latency. When a mouse scans the pad more than 6000 times (I think), the latency shouldn't be that high...

Bluetooth is alive and well. There's no competitor in sight (IR? Kidding, right?) and more and more devices become available. Looking good for me, although I only need my T610 and my iBook BT enabled. Works just fine for synching and going online out in the green. Wonderful that I don't have to build a line of sight between the items like we had to with IR. WiFi probably won't replace BT for the small stuff, uses too much power, really.

The competitor I spoke of isn't IR, it's a similar RF format to Bluetooth.

I read about it on Wired News website [I've just had a look around but I can't find it]

And if memory serves me correctly, the American military were very interested in it because of it's lower power requirements and it's larger coverage...

I was basically no more talking about the current status of bluetooth. It was interesting to enlight the future of this interesting interface and right now, I don't see good things coming. The bluetooth interface should get a bad bottle neck very soon. You guys point at handy data transfer. Soon you will have handies with huge memory chips, mp3 playback or even video, high res cams and a very fast internet connection (UMTS?). However, if bluetooth can't get any faster, noone would consider waiting more than 1 hour until 100mb is transfered to the handy..
And for devices such as mouse and keyboard and headsets? Well, maybe one can tell if the latency is really good enough. How much time does it take to ping a device over bluetooth? I know, one could say: "don't care, my mouse/keyboard/headsets works just great". But I still would like to know ;)

of course, you're right. for 'wider' bandwidth use, bluetooth is basically a no-go. however i think it's much easier to bring to market something like "bluetooth 2" (with backwards compatibility) than 'something else'. i somehow find it strange how hard it was for bluetooth - and i think one can blame nokia for much of it. it hasn't widely adopted bluetooth (only in their business handys, and strange enough there isn't even a nokia communicator with bluetooth capability). of course, there _are_ standards coming up that are interesting for such uses: for example one that i think would rock for it: wireless usb. (there's also wireless firewire, both standards will get around 50-60 mbps, which is enough for 'small' use.) i thought usb- and firewire-wireless was a bad idea initially, because i thought 'harddisks', but for mobile media stuff, it'd be great. and when we have 3g 1.x mbps access with our mobile phones, we also want our notebooks to be able to make use of it.

Back