Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used.

mosx86

Registered
Okay, so I thought that I might as well give this bootcamp nonsense a try. I've got a new 20-inch iMac CoreDuo @ 2GHz w/ 2GB of RAM. I run software update and my software is up to date and if I list the updates installed, it says that I've got the 5/18/06 iMac SMC Firmware Update v1.0.

I've just installed a fresh copy of Boot Camp Assistant and when I attempt to run it, I get the following error:

You must update your computer's firmware before using this setup assistant.

Am I missing something? Am I going to have to use the Firmware Restoration CD and reapply the SMC Firmware Update?

Also FYI, I've already set up a windows partition, so I just plan on using Boot Camp to create the driver disk. Has anybody else tried this?

Thanks!!!

Satcomer said:

The FAQ is wrong. :D

I was able to get Boot Camp Assistant to work after installing the following update:

iMac (early 2006) Firmware Update 1.0.1
This firmware update is for iMac (early 2006) computers with Intel processors only. It now runs on localized systems that use languages that read right to left. released: 04/17/06

From the FAQ:
Search Apple Downloads to download and install the latest firmware update available for your Mac. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the firmware installation.

However, this _is_ not the "latest firmware update available."

The latest firmware update available is:

iMac (early 2006) SMC Firmware Update
The SMC Firmware Update addresses intermittent boot issues with the Intel-based iMac (Early 2006). released: 05/16/06

As to whether Boot Camp will work on a pre-partitioned drive. No, it will not (according to Apple, at least).

So now the question is... By updating the firmware with an "older version" than the most current have I futzed it up? The machine appears to be working correctly, but... I think I'll be using: Firmware Restoration CD v 1.0 just to err on the side of caution. Ideas?

Hm. But the restoration CD will take you back to the oldest, the original firmware, right? How's that going to help you? You should get it to run using the newest firmware...

fryke said:
Hm. But the restoration CD will take you back to the oldest, the original firmware, right? How's that going to help you? You should get it to run using the newest firmware...

Just looked into this some more and apparently the CD can only be used on machines where the firmware update was interrupted. So it looks like no dice.

the Firmware update (1.0.1) is now an older firmware update. This will not show up in the Software Update pref panel. Its main purpose is to allow access to EFI by software that requires a BIOS (so you can install Windows on a prepared partition). You cannot load Windows, or boot to Windows unless that firmware update is installed. You don't need to install that unless you are installing Windows. The newer SMC update does not affect Windows booting, shows up in the Software Update pref pane, and is recommended for all Mac users. It has other hardware fixes, and might also help with Windows use (perhaps the firmware update helps with system cooling, and other functions). The BootCamp software has not been updated since release, and of course listed info about the only firmware update available at the time, which provides Windows booting. It is still the latest firmware update, and still required to install Windows. The newer update is not named Firmware, but is named SMC firmware update (small detail, but there) The two firmware updates are independent of each other.

The problem will persist. There are two firmware updates on the Apple site, the "SMC" one (and the meaning of "SMC" is totally unexplained) and then a larger one. I tried both, and got the same bullshit message from BootCamp Assistant claiming the firmware needed to be updated. But both updaters said that the machine didn't need the updates.

I just got a new Mac mini and I have the exact same problem. Seems like there is no answer to this...

I have installed Windows through bootcamp at least 10 times on various Macs, and the recent Macs do not need any firmware updates, none.
I have occasionally had problems, but not with firmware updates. The problem is usually getting the Apple windows drivers to install. One system would not install unless I had a white Apple keyboard attached. I normally use an older black Apple keyboard, and the drivers would not install, and not just the keyboard drivers.
If you do have a new Mac mini (shipped with OS X 10.4.7, and shows 10.4.7 on the label of your restore DVD. If 10.4.5, or 10.4.6, then you don't have a new mini, except for you :) ), with that one, there are no firmware updates needed. Make sure that you have Downloaded the latest version of BootCamp.
That is version 1.1.1
Create a new user (must be an admin account), just for the purpose of using Boot Camp. Do not move Boot Camp out of your Applications/Utilities folder.
Again, the newer Intel Macs, at least since Sept 2006, do not need any firmware updates to install Bootcamp.

i know this is digging up an old thread, but i'm having the same problem. my installation disc is 10.4.7, but when i tried to install boot camp it said i needed to update my system software. i did, and i seem to be running all the latest firmware and stuff, yet bootcamp still tells me i need to update.

what gives?

go apple menu and select software update and than only ckeck the firmware update and than enjoyyyyyyy only on the restart press the power button till u hear a tone three time oki any other info need mail me im_imran525@yahoo.com

I think Apple's readme says to shutdown and hold down power to startup until the light is blinking fast, then release the power button. But everything's pretty clear in the readme.

Salam,
if u hear the three beep of the tunes and if u also see the a bar complete the firmware update and then system restart again plz ckeck these steps i think only this issue is there not other one.
after lights blinks three time if u see a bar complete the firmware update when u see this bar than u can say firmware updated.
try with first step again after this firmware updated.
me
imran

I'm having the same problem bootcamp assistant asking for updating firmware
<< OSX 10.6 MacBook Unibody >> my firmware (EFI & SMC) both updated
to latest realese. The assistant worked very well before I updated to 10.6 .
I dont know wath to do ?
I wanted to create an extra volume for LINUX ! I have no clue ?
Does anyone know wath to do ?

Back