Boot Camp Utility = False spyware positives?

Perishingflames

Registered
Hi,

My windows partition has been running great, no issues (besides it taking an unusually long time to login), but I decided to run a quick spyware detection program to make sure its clean. The result: over 30-35 (way too many to count) different trojans/worms are infected.

Could the boot camp utility have something to do with this? It modifies some system files, so could that result in false positives?

Anyways, the online analysis in case you want to take a look:
http://analyze.hijackfree.com/analyze/?id=1227ec3a-e310-4bc6-b806-82755004446f

Thanks.

What leads you to believe that those are false positives? You're not looking at part of your OS X files, you know...

Although a few items appear to be Apple-provided stuff - my feeling is that you have some trojans on your system. In any case, you should choose to remove them. You are running Win XP, so download and install Windows Defender from Microsoft. Let that do a full scan of your Windows system, and then let Defender remove those items, if it can...
What other protection are you using on your Windows partition? You need that, even if you are using Windows through virtualization.... OS X won't protect your Windows installation in any way...

Last edited:
Using Avira antivir. I wouldn't believe that I possibly have multiple trojans, yet alone even one.. I only use windows about once a week or less, and even then I'm only on a couple sites that I know are clean.

I quickly perused all the files listed on your link and none of them look suspicious in the slightest.

Most antivirus and anti-malware scanners report a lot of common command-line utilities and services as trojans because those services run with administrator privileges and access low-level functions, and that's similar to how some trojans work. It's nothing to worry about and is perfectly normal.

At any rate, I don't see a single "positive" on that page -- only a bunch of questionables, and "needs more research" kind of things. That's perfectly normal.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. That makes a lot of sense considering how conservative my internet browsing is when I am using windows, heh.

Back