Bootup Keys. ... plz help

OK, so i am still quite new to Mac's .. i am MORE than fine, when i am in OS X. Troubleshooting is my problem. Basically, if something goes wrong outside OS X, i become a PC person. I don't know ANY Keys to reserect a problem, which REALLY Panics me, and p*sses me off!

I had a CD stuck, in my G4 Cube, which it kept trying 2 boot from, the disc was not right, and so it couldn't boot .. anyhow, the point is, can someone list me some of keys used when you turn your mac on, that could be of use to me. Its quite daunting when all you see is an Apple logo, and u don't know whats wrong, but you know nothing.

For example, i know holding the OPTION Key does something ... and i think holding 'c' boots from CD? ... does 'h' boot from HDD?!

plz guys, i would really appreciate someone educating me here!

Many many thanks

Neyo

Press the mouse button during boot to eject the disk.
Try a Google search, there are loads of pages on this.

I think the X key will make it boot from OS X. I am not 100% on that though!
Otherwise just use the option key and then choose your HD and boot!

Originally posted by bobw
Apple' TIL is a good place for info;

http://kbase.info.apple.com:80/mainpage

search for "fsck" first.

With 871 posts, you can't be to new to Macs.

LOL, Bob ... trust me mate, i am! Well, Kinda! I had my iBook for about 6 months, and my Cube for 4 Months, I've ONLY ever known OS X... thru from 10.0 to Panther now ... Over that time, you don't experience as many problems, as the past 6-8 yrs using a PC, to learn how 'Troubleshoot"

i am getting there tho!

press alt-command-o-f on startup and you'll get to Open Firmware. Type "eject cd" without the quotes and you can get a very reluctant cd to come out.

Open firmware is also useful for resetting nvram and other things. It has helped me a lot.

reset-nvram

reset-all

By the way, Yellow dog linux has a great bootloader where you can choose the partition to boot when you press that powerbutton. I don't think that pressing alt shows you the partitions.

Back