Brand new ibook... :(

Snark

Registered
Wel, its working, its faster, its nicer.

But I have one problem. I attempted to pug in a usb2.0 device while running software update, the kernel panicked and I had to shut down.

Now I cannot change brightness or volume via keyboard and theres no icons when i drag things out of folders, making it a little strange to drag and drop into applications. :(

otherwise...

yippeeeee!!

did you repair permissions? It that doesn't help and a new user account has the same issues, I would suggest a fresh installation (since you seem to not have it for that long).

For future reference, whenever running Software Update, it's best to let it run until it's completely done with no other programs open, nothing being plugged in, no surfing the web, etc.

There are optimization routines done during a software update that are necessary for proper operation, and if they're interrupted, you could be left with a completely unusable system, requiring a reinstall like Zammy said.

Snark said:
Wel, its working, its faster, its nicer.

But I have one problem. I attempted to pug in a usb2.0 device while running software update, the kernel panicked and I had to shut down.

Now I cannot change brightness or volume via keyboard and theres no icons when i drag things out of folders, making it a little strange to drag and drop into applications. :(

otherwise...

yippeeeee!!

Do not plug-in/remove devices during a software update. I've had kernel panics when doing that.

Can I start another user that will be a fresh duplicate of mine?

I'm mostly conserned about the itunes music that was such a pain to get off of my sketchy usb 2.0hd. I guess i can just drag and drop everything into the shared folders?

Btw what do you guys think of getting one of those shareware apps that are script cocktails, optimizers and cleaner uppers/ problem fixxers?

They always made my old comp faster, but I always was worried that they would explode my computer for some reason. If it isnt made by apple it makes me nervious.

Once you setup a new user and see that things are just fine, you can simply move your files to the same folder of the newer home directory. But I think it will rather be a system problem than a user problem.

I never used any of those apps and my system is running quite fine. So, I would suggest to leave those apps. Macosx doesn'T really need any kind of optimization tools.

MMkay I had to reinstall the os, time consuming, not too painful, all was preserved so no biggy there.

The 512mb ram chip for my old ibook doesnt fit in my new one. >=[ guess I'll have to sell it.

Well, I have posted this in the past, but I will do it again.

Mac users (that use OS X) can do some simple preventive maintenance to keep OS X humming along abd avoid around 95% of troubles you see on MacFixIt.

1. Unix (Mac OS X is based on BSD and BSD is a form of Unix) has nightly scripts the run cron jobs (daily, weekly and monthly scripts) that clear out and reset certain Unix/BSD logs. OS X (as UNIX, BSD) run these cron scripts at night while you are probably sleeping. Luckily, mainly freeware/shareware programs were posted to put a gui on these scripts so Mac user can point and click at their leisure. I person use a simple one trick pony (and have for while) called MacJanitor.

2. As I said before, OS X is based on BSD/Unix and if you have ever seen or used Unix before you know UNIX LOVES permissions on every file in you system. Sometimes in OS X you or an installer install a program that thinks it knows what YOUR files permissions should be (or what you or Apple thinks they should be). So Apple put in Repair Permissions in the program called Disk Utility (in Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility). A Mac user should run Repair permissions after every larger program install. Including OS updates from Apple. Also, a Mac user should run Repair Permissions around every two weeks to keep OS X healthy.

3. Lastly, there are some very other very helpful Mac sites that a Mac user can pick up tips and tricks for their Macs. Here is a list that I visit most every day.

This site you are using right now.
xlr8yourmac - Mac hardware compatibility database, tips and tricks
MacFixIt - title says it all
VersionTracker -OS X program download site
MacUpdate - OS X program download site
Apple Support - title says it all
Alsoft's DiskWarrior - hands down the best OS X/disk application utility anywhere in the Mac universe

Also, I own several Mac books. I highly recommend for novice to moderate OS X users David Pogue's Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Panther Edition. Then for iLife application users,iLife '04: The Missing Manual. Theses books will greatly expand someones knowledge of OS X.

I am only suggesting theses things. Your experiences may vary.

Back