welshviking

Registered
Hi all,
Has anyone in the uk got broadband for their mac, iif so:-
which isp is it with ?
how much per month does it cost ?
how do you rate its speed and service ?.......... thank you.....Colin

Hiya,

I use Pipex and I get a standard 512K line for £23.44 a month, although the price has risen slightly since I joined.

Service has been excellent (although, I've never had to call them!) and the line itself has been faultless. Obviously, different areas will experience different levels of service - I live in Worcestershire.

I'm with NTL on 600k connection for £24.99/mth. Again, no problems in over 2 years. Never once had to call them and never had any fault or drop in service on the line. When I first connected to them they didn't support OSX, but they might now, I don't know. I now have two macs networked wirelessly, both on this connection with no probs.

btw, I'm in Leeds

I use NTL too, although I've only got 150k connection, it works fine with OSX and costs me £18 a month. It goes down every now and again which can be a bit of a pain, but its cheap. There's probably better out there but I'm tied into the 12 month contract now :rolleyes:

I use Bulldog, and i get 512k daytimes, and 1mb evenings and weekends. I pay 24.99 a month but the package i'm on (Primetime 1000) is currently on offer for £19.99 a month, or £24.99 for the same with 2mb off peak.
I had a bit of hassle getting connected but it turned out to be BT not the isp. I have had one small service outage (5 hours i think), but other than that they've been good.

NTL 600k here too – again, no problems that aren't caused by 'technical faults' on their side, or, in earlier days when there seemed to be more difficulties, that weren't solved by rebooting the box (I connect via a set-top box rather than modem) and computer. The free service status phone line (more up to date that the online information) means you can check that it's them not you when things do go wrong and so save hours of frantic messing around with your settings. I've installed on machines running OS9 and OSX without a problem, although I have no idea whether they yet support OSX officially – I doubt it though. I always thought their lack of Mac know-how ironic as they used Macs in their infomercials.

As I write, I've just remembered that I did have something go physically wrong with the box last year – I rang them in the morning and they came and fixed it in the afternoon.

Hi I use ntl to 150k I have used ntl since it was onlt 128k - that WAS a nightmare! cut off all the time! there phoneline was always "currently experiencing an unusualy high amount off calls" and I had to wait nearly 2hours on a SUNDAY MORNING! on one ocassion! saying this this was during the MS Blast worm and alot of the calls were due to this they even had a prerecorded message at the begining of the call suggesting some things and only to call back if they didnt work - anyway they son updated the line to 150k and the price went up from 15.99 to 17.99. The service is now ace! not had one outage since they changed in November or something like that. It had been reported on BBC alos - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3646825.stm that ntl will be doubling its 150k to 300k for no extra cost and the 600k(24.99 currently) and 1mb(34.99 currently) will also so updtaes but not doubled I dont think (more like 800k and 1.5mb) On the OS X compatability!

what the website says -
Apple Mac:
Minimum PC Requirements
Recommended PC Requirements

Operating System*
MacOS 8.6*
MacOS 8.6 to 9.1*

CPU*
Power PC*
Power PC*

Hard Drive*
60MB (system and total space)*
150MB (system and total space)*

Memory*
32Mb*
40Mb*

Networking*
Functioning NIC*

Resources*
CD-ROM*
CD-ROM & USB availability

Full instruction come with the CD-ROM box for installing - on os 9 - I think - i was still using os 9 when i started using ntl - it installs correct connect - possibly one of the most annoying piece of software ever invented! it tels you wats happening to your connection whats working whats not - in the end usualy when you shut it the connectin started up again! anyway correct connect isnt avalible for OS X - shame! but the connection work great set up through internet connect app. as it tels you in the info you can only connect the modem to a Mac with the ethernet cable! not usb.
I would recomend them but ntl isnt avalible all over the UK yet so I would do the postcode check at their website.

oh! and one more thing. Right not for the all the speeds its free installation and its 8.99 for the first 3 months(17.99 there after) for the 150k the 600k is 12.49 for the first three months and the 1mb is "half price" for three months (but on the 1st of june the price is going up from 34.99 to 37.99) (I presume its in june that they are going to update speeds?

post back with what you decide.

I use Pipex! A couple of times i've emailed them about things, and included screenshots - I forget what, but the fact I'm running OS X on a 'non-supported' USB DSL modem, didn't bother them. I would recommend them, most definately!!

I've been considering getting broadband. Wanadoo (nee freeserve) are currently charging 17.99 a month for 512k access with 2gig a month bandwidth.

Seems a reasonable deal to me but their site says they don't support OS X. (it actually explicitly states that it excludes it!).

As I was thinking of buying an ADSL wireless router modem I was thinking how can it matter what OS you use? I'm wondering if they simply mean the free USB modem they supply doesn't work with OS X (due to drivers or whatever).

Can anyone offer an pointers?

dont use frreseve (wandoo) i used to have freeserve dialup - was crap and when u phoned up the people didnt know how to fix squat on a mac.

jobson_ski,

thanks for that link to the BBC website regarding NTL increasing their speeds by 50%. I wasn't aware of this. Hope they go ahead with it!

Pipex mate - there's NO Cap on your bandwidth either... No problems really at all, must be 18months or maybe 2years now

Just had a look at the pipex website.

19.99 UKP a month gets you 512/256 speed with 1gb monthly limit. This isn't as good as the wanadoo package as far as I can see. That gives you 2gb limit with 512 speed (I presume 256 upload but not sure) for 17.99 a month.

I've no idea what their customer support is like but the deal seems better on the face of it - or am I missing something?

Back