Burning a DVD without iDVD

cfleck

tired
I have some crappy movies I downloaded from publicdomaintorrents.com that I want to put on a dvd so I can watch them on my tv. I don't have iDVD. Is there a way to do this with free software or software already on my mac? The videos are in mp4 format.

You have two options, as far as I know, and both require that you convert your files to a compatible format. If your DVD player is capable of playing DivX and/or XviD, you can convert your .mp4 files to .avi (both DivX and XviD use this extension) and burn them onto a data disc.

Otherwise, you'll need to convert the files to DVD format before you can burn them to a DVD that can be watched on a regular television. The only freeware option of which I'm aware that'll do this for you is ffmpegx.

Once the files are converted to DVD format, you'll need to author a DVD. There are freeware disc burners, but they won't burn the disc in the right way so that it's recognised as a regular DVD by your player. Freeware options for this include DVDStyler and Sizzle. Do note, however, that DVD authoring is one software category in which freeware options really lag very far behind commercial ones.

Hope that helps get you started.

Back