Bzzzt!

Moptop

Registered
At random times, my computer (iMac G5) makes a LOUD buzzing noise from the speaker, then stops playing ALL audio. If I press mute/unmute, the speaker makes a clicking noise for a few tries then works again.

This happens most often during high-cpu usage times, when 3 or more applications have audio. (Not all at the same time, for example, music, a game, and instant messenger.)

What could cause this, and how can I fix it?

What happens in console when this buzz occurs? If you have console open there could be some indication of what is happening or what causes it.

It's either of two things:
* A hardware problem, for instance if the speaker wire (which comes from the speaker to a little clip on the main board) has gotten caught in the casing somehow and is shorting out, then you might get buzzing, lose audio when the chipset's failsafe fuses cut in, and then it would reset itself after a mute/unmute. I'd have a quick look inside your iMac and check that the speaker connector is firmly in place, undamaged and safe.
* A software problem. Keep Console running (in Applications/Utilities) and whenever the problem occurs check Console for any strange messages.

There could possibly be a giant weevil or a wookie moth trapped inside of your iMac's frame, much like the tiny beetles that have been known to inhabit the iMac's LCD.

On a more serious note, this sounds like a job for Apple Care. Are you still under waranty?

There could possibly be a giant weevil or a wookie moth trapped inside of your iMac's frame, much like the tiny beetles that have been known to inhabit the iMac's LCD.

O.O

On a more serious note, this sounds like a job for Apple Care. Are you still under waranty?

I don't know that much on their warrantee information, but I don't think so, this computer is almost 4 years old.

I had a problem similar too this when using AIM (AOL instant messenger) a few years ago.

Is your IM program AIM? if so, try using something else like ichat or adium.

Back