Camino new Start Up screen

Is there anything new in Camino apart a new startup screen ?

I was a fervent supporter of it, before Safari imporved and Camino changed name then tried to copy Safari.

Oh. New Google function, aka Safari.
The Bookmarks manager is also Safariesque.
Still, tabgroups are sh!ttier than in Safari.
The whole interface is snappier, page rendering may also be faster. But now it loads pages sequentially, why ? Is that the new Mozilla core ? Too bad.

Also, the text box I'm typing in is grey and has no spellcheck. The tabs are stil very much obstrusive. I've fallen on the Safari side of the Force I guess :D

The splash screen has been implemented since right after the 0.7 milestone release. IMO, it needs to be redone, as it looks bunk.

The entire project is in a transition period right now. The nightlies are not quite as good as they we're before the 0.7 release, due to several factors... First, Camino now uses the nightly build of the gecko engine, whereas before it used the 1.0 release. This brings any bugs from the nightly gecko builds in to Camino as well.

Second, the new bookmark manager is still very much a work in progress. Theres been lots of discussion on the mailing list about whether it was ready for prime time (it wasn't).

The Google Search tool was landed in to the nightly build about 10 days ago.

Coming up soon will be autocomplete from the address book. The patch has been ready for some time, but since it only worked with 10.2, the developers were hesitant to put it in, since it would make Camino require 10.2. It appears they have finally capitulated, and Camino will now probably require 10.2 as the minimum install...

Being one of Camino's biggest supporters, I hate to say it, but Safari has now supplanted Camino as my everyday browser. This will probably see saw back and forth as the nightly builds of Camino undergo serious constrction during the 0.7-0.8 transition...

I was a serious supporter too, but I cannot see any way for Camino ti come back on my disk now. Tabs, tabgroups, are better in Safari. Speed is sufficient too, and the bookmarks manager is okay, I don't need anything more complicated. Neither do I feel the need for new features: apart from Keychain support, I'm a very ascetic person concerning features :).

No, really, I don't know how Camino could come back. Step #1 would be changing its name, obviously. I'm sorry, but Camino is still an ugly name.

Well, Camino may have been supplanted by Safari as my main browser, but there are still areas where Camino is quite useful for me...

1) Safari still doesn't work 100% with my online banking site. The last upgrade fixed the ability to login and view, but I can't use BillPay with Safari - yet. Camino still handles the entire site just fine.

2) There are still several sites that Safari doesn't render properly. This will get better over time, but in the meatime, Camino is the backup. Check out www.iht.com in Safari.

I agree that Safari has a much better tab implementation. This has been discussed ad nauseum on the Camino mailing list, and it appears that the developers are just too stubborn to change Camino's tabs in any way shape or form. My biggest complaints - Camino's tabs start in the center, making each tab added move the entire tab group, which makes you tab a moving target. Plus, I much prefer Safari's & Phoenix's "Open in Tabs" option for all bookmarked folders to Caminos "Tabbed Group", which requires duplicating a folder and assigning it to be a tabbed group.

On a lighter note, has anyone else noticed that Phoenix has been rebranded "Firebird", due to similar legal problems that Chimera had?

Now the two lightweight Mozilla browsers are "Camino" and "Firebird".... What's next - "Z28"? :D

Yes, I have to say that the big things still holding me up from using Safari as my main browser are stability (still crashes more than Camino for me) and site compatibility - doesn't work with my online banking, web email, some flash sites, etc.

Hopefully those will be addressed quickly, but for the time being I think Gecko's much more mature rendering engine keeps it on my desktop (you gotta admit, bloat or not, that the Mozilla guys have been working hard and putting out a pretty good product! Mozilla has definitely become the standard browser on my Intel desktops, I almost NEVER touch IE!)

Rip

safari wont be my main browser until it is web standards compatible and renders things correctly

its good besides that, but that fact makes things not worth it as my daily browser :(

no it isn't, i prefer Camino over Safari. Safari is a fast and light app, but i don't see any difference in speed of loading webpages with navigator. But i do see differences in loading webpages correctly, and in that case Camino is much better!

Aaah, the ol' "Les gouts et les couleurs ne on ne se dispute pas" thing going on. The line came from Latin, Non Disputandes or sth like that ... Anyone able to refresh my mind on that one?

All the quality and maturity of Mozilla with none of the bloat...

Except I use the browser, mail, news, and HTML editing features of Mozilla. I find that the combination of tools makes for a great, standard, integrated experience.

Even if I'm not using the HTML editor (which I only started doing recently), I've found Moz's XML stuff, DOM inspector, Java/JavaScript consoles, etc to be invaluable for doing web development...And is something that Camino, Safari, as well as Phoenix/Firebird just don't have. I'd hate to see all that go away...

Safari is ok but when I go to a forum Camino (and Netscape under os 9) will automatically fill in my name and password. When Safari can do that I might switch. I do like the idea of Safari-like bookmarks tho. Never did like sidebars.

you know i think it can currently... go to prefs, auto fill, and check user name and password...

on the mozilla suite note.. i would like to see them cocoa-ize the suite :)

Originally posted by cradom
Safari is ok but when I go to a forum Camino (and Netscape under os 9) will automatically fill in my name and password. When Safari can do that I might switch. I do like the idea of Safari-like bookmarks tho. Never did like sidebars.

Safari sorta does have the password manage bit that Moz does. But not quite. I have at least 3 sites that Safari hasn't asked to store the password for whereas Moz does it just fine. Just check Usernames and Passwords under the Autofill pref in Safari. It's still not as good as Moz though....

EDIT:Haha, too slow again. Man I seem to be good at that lately.

Hmm... could'a swore I had all three checked. Just looked again and name & password wasn't. Gettin old I guess. :)

Do you have safari (v73)? those were newly added features along with tabs so i guess you get to look at safari again ;)

Back