Can 10.1.x and 10.2 coexist?

TommyWillB

Registered
I am in the middle of making a full Resrospect copy of my 10.1.4 drive before I update to 10.2. (I'd rather not do a clean install, but I'm not sure if my VPN and other stuff will continue working.)

In any case while I was waiting I was surfing Apples Support site. I was surpeised to find this:
Article ID: 106975
If multiple version of Mac OS X are installed on an affected computer, the startup graphic is not drawn and animated correctly. This would happen, for example, if you installed Mac OS X versions 10.1.5 and 10.2 on two separate partitions on the same computer.

On the affected computers listed above, you should not install different versions of Mac OS X on different partitions or disks.
I don't really care about the startup screen issues, but I will be bummed if I can't have 10.1.4 on one drive and 10.2 on another without 10.2 having problems...

Is anyone having problems running both on seperate drives?

I read that article, and it seems to apply only to G3's. You didn't say what Mac you use, but I have been running both 10.1.5 and 10.2 on two partitions of my PBG4/800 without noticing a problem.

I do have two separate OS 9 installations, though. I occasionally have to use Classic, and 10.1.5 doesn't play well with a Classic partition updated to 10.2 software.

I have a single home directory (on a data partition) which works in both 10.1.5 and 10.2.

This does raise some issues, though. For example, HP All-In-One printer drivers don't yet work in 10.2. So, I have removed the HP software from my login startup prefs. When I boot in 10.1.5 to use the printer, I need to remember to start the printer software. Which I never do (remember), luckily I can start it after printing, once I notice the printer isn't doing anything.

Back