Can I burn mac software onto a cd with a PC

Carolebrew

Registered
I have a computer in a church classroom that a music teacher uses but is not networked. He has one of the few Macs in the school as we are having our music folks try these out as they have great software for music and art. My question is. If I copy software over to my Novell Network can I burn it onto a CD from my Wiindows XP Administrator Workstation and then take it out to the music area and install it onto the new macintosh pc? Mac OS10.4. I can not network this Mac as it is out of the area where we have our server and there is not any wireing done there yet. Also, the Mac is connected to a large keyboard, and music system and we don't want to pay to have it setup again. Thanks for your help? Carole

well, you can copy the cd/dvd it's on if that is what you mean - or if it's dl'd applications, most of downloaded software comes in a .dmg disk image, so that is also fine to burn to cd but you have to make it iso9660 to be read on the mac - even better would be to make it iso9660 + HFS (hybrid) if possible

We have the software on the Network for 3 of the schools but my school is the only one that is not networked out in the music area. I could go to one of the other schools and see if the tech there could burn it for me but the applications were put on the server under Mac Applications for us to install from. I login as my administrator account on the network and can see them but I have a Gateway PC with a burner. I don't think the programs are iso files but just the applications itself lilke Macintosh PowerPoint and Macintosh Word. I wish I new more about Macs. I use Nero to burn files onto cd's. Hummm... I just don't know how to use a Mac well enough. Rats. Sorry. I am learning. Just know windows. Thanks for responding.

The question that needs to be answered is, is the software you are talking about just actual applications or Mac-specific installers? Because if they are applications, you wouldn't just be able to copy them over for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, most applications rely on more than just that one application file - and there is an installer that installed that application and it's related files elsewhere in the System Library.

If that application works fine on the PC, it won't work on a Mac by just copying it to it. It has to be written for the Mac OS.

Now, IF they ARE installer files, you should be fine burning it to a CD on a PC, because the Mac will be able to read it fine. Burn it as a standard data CD, just like any other you were saving files to. Hopefully, that's all you need to do!

My guess is that the Mac is just connected to the keyboard via a USB>MIDI cable - and the "setup" would simply require reconnecting that cable. You should be able to shut down, disconnect the cable from the Mac, move it to plug into your network, then move it back and reconnect before starting back up without consequence. But that's on the assumption of there only being that USB connection. I'm sure the setup the first time involved software and driver installation. But once that's done, it should just be the cabling.

Thank you... It is just an installer and the Music teacher is going to help with it so I am good now. I had him read your posts so we should be able to do this. Thanks

Back