can not install newly downloaded dmg files

broke

Registered
My problem is that I can not run newly downloaded dmg files... I can install old ones I have lying around on my system, but not new ones I have downloaded with ftp or safari. verification failed, not recognized or code overflow is the messages I get.

If I open the .dmg with Disk Utility, I get this message

Write status for disk: not activated

Disk Utility does not say anything about errors on my disk...

Darwin BROKE.local 8.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.3.0: Mon Oct 3 20:04:04 PDT 2005; root:xnu-792.6.22.obj~2/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

some of my configuration files also dissapear after reboot...

limewire is not able to continue downloads started before reboot

my bookmarks go away after reboot

I have to install messenger everytime

everything that I drag down to the dock, is gone after reboot...

I have not any idea what is going on...

It sounds like you've got some serious problems -- either with file or disk corruption. One solution is to do an "Archive & Install" installation, which will preserve your Applications (and user data) and certain System files, but install a new System folder.

It may or may not work, simply because it could be one of the "saved" System files that's causing the problem in the first place, and if the bad file is used for the new System folder, you've gone nowhere.

First thing I would do is to boot from the Mac OS X Install CD/DVD and run Disk Utility's "Repair Disk" over and over until it reports no problems with the drive. If that doesn't work, DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro may help if you have them, otherwise, I would suggest an Archive & Install at the least (I would really recommend a full erase and install -- that way you're guaranteed a 100% working system, but this type of installation wipes the drive so you'd better have a backup if needed).

Back