Can only send mail from Mail.app through AOL, not Dial-up... HELP!

Jasoco

Video Gamer/Collector
I DON'T KNOW WHY.

I have two separate email services. My Mac.com address which uses Apple's SMTP server for outgoing mail and my own dialup's Jasoco Mail which uses mail.jasoco.com to send mail.

But the screwy thing is I can only send mail while connected to the internet through AOL. But when I connect through my Dial-up connection I can no longer send mail. I get the usual "Can not send mail right now" message. This happens for both Mac.com and Jasoco Mail.

Mac.com is an SMTP server and Jasoco is a POP3 server. Neither work unless connected through AOL. And I HATE AOL. I DON'T USE AOL. Only for backup when I can't use Jasoco. But Jasoco is what I am paying for. I NEED mail.

Odd thing is whether I'm on AOL or Dial-up, I can still RECIEVE mail.

I REALLY need help. I don't understand why the freak this is happening. I'd call my provider but I am afraid of the response. I just KNOW it'll be a Mac hater on the other end giving me a Bull**** response like, "Well, if you were in Windows.." or "Sorry, we don't support Macs." which would be Bull**** because it USED to work months ago.

Also, in both cases I can use the Web based versions of these services to send mail. Both through Apple's iTools or Jasoco.com's Web Mail page.

Maybe AOL changed some settings on your computer. I remember a few years ago when AOL got into some trouble with PC users by messing with internet settings so much in M$ Windows that only AOL's internet software would work and no one else's. I think this was an embittered fight over "control" of the PC between AOL and M$. Naturally, people with more than one ISP went through many headaches. I don't know if AOL does the same thing with Macs. I don't use AOL because I hate it too.

Try uninstalling AOL and see what happens.

:( :( :( :(

Uninstalling didn't help.

Unless the settings didn't get reset. I don't know what settings would change anyway. How can I reset them?????????????

Do you really think it's AOL? I know they're evil, but can they really be Microsoft evil? That's something MS would do.

UGH!

The only other thing I can do is wipe the HD and reinstall OS X from scratch. And I don't want to do that until I KNOW it will work.

More than likely something got messed up, i.e. some settings for which I cannot offer any advice on how to fix. I simply don't know how to solve the problem. However, I would think that a complete re-install would solve the problem. If you decide to go that route, just remember to back-up everything prior to installing OS X.

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
More than likely something got messed up, i.e. some settings for which I cannot offer any advice on how to fix. I simply don't know how to solve the problem. However, I would think that a complete re-install would solve the problem. If you decide to go that route, just remember to back-up everything prior to installing OS X.

Yeah, I am prolly gonna do the backup and reformat thing. I'm in the process of getting my FW HD ready for backup.

Might as well do some partitioning of the main HD while I'm at it.

Back