Cannot burn MP3 to CD

Jimbolgs

Registered
I never thought I'd be accusing Apple of ripping me off - so I won't until I understand what's happening here.

I've joined the music store, bought a couple of MP3s - supporting the artists and all that.

Anyway - I can't burn them to CD to listen to in my car.

My car stereo is a Sony head unit which plays MP3 as well as normal CD.

So, I cannot convert them from AAC to MP3, and when I convert through toast I get a silent track on the finished disc.

NOTE: My powerbook doesn't have an internal cd writer - I'm burning off on an external firewire DVD writer through Toast.

There's another one for you - Apple don't support my writer!

Is there a way of doing this with my set-up. Because I don't remember reading any warning about only being able to play files from my computer.

Dissapointed, Jim.

Can you burn anything with your cd writer? Maybe it has nothing to do with the aac->mp3 conversion or your software. If your burner works fine, try to use itunes. Go to Preferences and click on the "burning" tab. Make sure you mark MP3 CD. Then simply press the burning button.
Good luck!

The AAC files are protected. I've tried burning a normal audio CD. The files I already have in my library burn fine but the Apple Store AACs come out silent.

It's something to do with the protection I'm sure.

Yeah. The AAC files from the iTunes store are protected, and won't convert to MP3. But then, you shouldn't HAVE to, since iTunes will convert and burn then to audio CD for you on a properly authorized Mac (not to mention that re-encoding them as MP3 will compress them again and further reduce their quality).

And there are haxies available that allow you to use an external DVD burner, though it should be automatic if you have Toast.

Jimbolgs said:
The AAC files are protected. I've tried burning a normal audio CD. The files I already have in my library burn fine but the Apple Store AACs come out silent.

It's something to do with the protection I'm sure.
did you try with itunes?

I did but my burner is not supported because it's external (FW) pioneer 106D.

With os 10.2.6 I had device plugin which gave me support but with the upgrade to 10.3 I cannot find a way of making itunes see my external device as a writer.

Real bad work by apple in my opinion.

If I knew what you meant by haxie, I would ask if you knew of one which would get round the protection.

Normally, when i want to make an audio disc or MP3 disc I drag everything from iTunes to toast and burn that way.

But the protected files come out silent.

So, I need to either find a way to make itunes talk to my poineer 106 or remove the protection from the file.

burn the songs as a normal Audio cd, then import them BACK into the computer as MP3's (keeping them in a separate directory to save confusion. (This is an easy workaround for the AAC format problem.) Then you should be able to burn them as MP3's (provided that your burner is working and stuff...) ;)

Back