Cannot Connect

amaloney

Registered
I posted this on the Apple site - no replies there.
Can anyone help me?

I am an absolute newbie to OS X.

I am using
G4 450MHz (named G4Al, also entered in OS X)
OS X 10.1.1 and OS 9.2.1 on same hard drive
Built-in ethernet
AsanteFast 10/100 nic [PCI Ethernet Slot B, Port 2 - as reported in IPNetRouter on OS 9]
gNAT 1.0b9 LaserWriterPro 630
Motorola cable modem from RoadRunner provider

Problems
(1) I cannot print. - do I turn on AppleTalk in the Network panel for the card "en1"? - if I use LPR what name/address do I use for the printer? - In any case, I get a report "server not found"

(2) I cannot access the internet - In the Network panel, for the built-in setting I have AppleTalk turned off. Setting to DHCP results in the wrong IP address (a 196. number, which I take to be my machine?) and the wrong mask. - Go->Servers shows "Local Network"

(3) HELP! - I do not even know where to go in OS X, in what order I should do things, what info to give you, nor how to use the terminal.

(4) Is there a good reference book I can purchase?

(5) I would like to start from scratch. Can I erase OS X without erasing my hard drive (It has OS 9.2.1 on it as well)? If so how do I do that?

(1) I cannot print. - do I turn on AppleTalk in the Network panel for the card "en1"? - if I use LPR what name/address do I use for the printer? - In any case, I get a report "server not found"

Yeah, I think AppleTalk should be turned on, since it's an AppleTalk printer, right? (my mac knowledge doesn't extend into the printer category too far). The ethernet card that you have depends on which one it's plugged into.. I would guess that the Asante PCI ethernet card would be en1, yes (where en0 would be the onboard ethernet).

(2) I cannot access the internet - In the Network panel, for the built-in setting I have AppleTalk turned off. Setting to DHCP results in the wrong IP address (a 196. number, which I take to be my machine?) and the wrong mask. - Go->Servers shows "Local Network"

If your computer can't find a DHCP server (a computer at your cable modem provider that gives out IP addresses), you will get some kind of message, and/or and IP address of 169.x.x.x.

What IP address do you get exactly? What IP address do you get in OS 9? Also, the networking is a bit different in OS X vs. OS X.1, which version do you have?

(3) HELP! - I do not even know where to go in OS X, in what order I should do things, what info to give you, nor how to use the terminal.

You don't need to use the terminal if you don't want to. If you're not a UNIX junkie, and especially if you didn't install the extra BSD subsystem, the terminal is mostly useless to you anyway.

(4) Is there a good reference book I can purchase?

I don't know the titles of any, but pay a visit to your local Border's and look at the mac shelf :)

(5) I would like to start from scratch. Can I erase OS X without erasing my hard drive (It has OS 9.2.1 on it as well)? If so how do I do that?

You can, but doing a complete uninstall is probably more work than it's worth ... unless you just feel like it. Try an internet search, I have successfully done it before, and it wasn't too hard to find instructions.

If your frustration grows so high that you are unable to use your G4 any longer, I accept donations :D

If you are not getting the correct IP address, then your computer is not releasing the router or the cable modem.

First, try connecting directly to the cable modem.
Also, when setting up DHCP in OSX, goto the hetwork preferences and select a dhcp connection but leave all fields blank. Restart your computer and let the network's DHCP server fill in the blanks. This helps in some cases.

I've been dealing with this issue sinc OS 9.1 so it is not just an OS issue. It has something to do with apple's tcp/ip and what the cable networks are using. From what I've read, some computers have problems with this and others don't. I don't have this problem anymore since ging with 10.1.1. Now I have a problem where my network's DHCP server does not correctly refresh my IP. But this only happens once in a blue moon. I hear Apple is aware of the issue and I've also heard rumor that it will be fixed in the 10.2 update. But once again, that is a rumor. Apple's support list has 100's of messages regarding this issue and cable networks from what I could tell. So, I don't think they will be ignoring this issue for long. Also, if you have a 3com modem, look for something else. My situation also improveds greatly when my cable company replaced my 3com modem.

Good Luck,
SA

ok, finally remember how i got dhcp working. as said by buc99, go to network under tcp/ip and create a new location. I called mine router. then choose 'built in ethernet' connection for show. type your domain name where it says optional. eg. - earthlink.com, etc. Disconnecting fro router to test this part is a good idea. if this works, contact netrouter folks and get their input. I don't knowif this will help you or not. I have a hardware router, i drive an imac and i live in pachell. I just rember it was the thing about creating a new location that hung up the process for me to start.

Back