Can't connect SMB://netbios/ to win2k3 server

Moreknow

Registered
Hello,

This seems to be a recurring, unresolved issue on these boards.
I am trying to add an OSX 3.9 workstation onto our SBS 2k3 network.

I have followed the steps to create the group policy that disables SMB auth on the server and applied the policy.
I can see all of the computers on the network under MacHD/Network.
I can mount a share using domain admin credentials on a particular workstation.

I cannot connect to the Server from within MacHD/Network. I receive the following error after entering domain admin credentials:
"The alias "server" cannot be opened, because the original item cannot be found."
The Console returns the following:
"mount_smbfs: tree connect phase failed: syserr= Permission denied." and
"mount_smbfs: could not login to server "servername""

I cannot connect to the server through Finder/Command +K with the either of the following commands:
"smb://netbiosofserver/" or
"smb://ipofserver/". I get the "Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct error." I have tried typing the direct share on the server using both syntax stated above, with no results.

Out of nowhere, I did try to connect using "smb://netbiosofserver.local/". This did result in a login dialog, but ended in the "...name or password in not correct error" that I mention below.

I have triple-checked that I'm using the proper credentials. These same credentials successfully mounted the workstation shares and added several networked printers to the Mac.

When I reference the Console after using the SMB method I find the following entries:
"mount_smbfs: can't get server address 'netbiosofserver': Unknown Host" and
"mount_smbfs: can't get server address: syserr = Network is down."

Any guidance would be most appreciated - I'm a PC trying to pick up this whole Mac thing! :)

Thanks,
Shawn

Back