Can't Download - Help!!

riven2000

Registered
For the last few weeks (?) I've been having a problem downloading anything directly from the Internet without control-clicking to "save link as". It was only mildly annoying until I got to a site where it can't be done that way. Don't know if I messed up a setting somewhere, or if it's a bug in a security update, or what. I'm on Jaguar 10.2.8, and the problem is consistent under several browsers. :eek:

Go to your System Preferences>Network. Select your connection in the second pull down menu (the first is location, second is show). Now select the Proxies tab. At the very bottom is Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV). Make sure that is checked. Click on Apply.

Now you should be able download.

What happens when you click on the file?
Does it open the file in the browser?
Which browser are you using?
Try another browser.
Look for the file type prefrences for your browser, i.e. In firefox, under the prefrences, select downloads, and look at what is associated with each file type.

rbb said:
What happens when you click on the file? Does it open the file in the browser?
Page refreshes and that's it.

rbb said:
Which browser are you using? Try another browser.
Firefox, but I've tried Safari and Mozilla - same thing.

rbb said:
Look for the file type prefrences for your browser, i.e. In firefox, under the prefrences, select downloads, and look at what is associated with each file type.
Tried that and reset a bunch of them. Still nothing. It's as if the computer doesn't recognize a download link anymore.

I'm always installing/trying out 3rd-party utilities, etc., so I'm really not sure what I've installed since and what came before.

Any system protection software ? What do you have as anti-virus and firewall ? any packet filtering ? sniffing tool ?

I use Norton Utilities 7 but no virus software. The firewall is the built-in one. I may have looked at a virus sniffer or two online, but didn't download them. Are there any preference files that might be causing this?

I have experienced the same problem, as described here. I have the added bonus of having the AppleScript editor launch at about the time a download would start.

Very odd.

First, I would get rid of Nortons. It has cause a lot of people major problems, and Symantec dropped support for it.

I would try Repairing Permissions, just a thought.

Create another user and see if you can download.

Auricle - wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem. Interesting.

Come to think of it, I did recently change the permissions on my main hard drive from "System" to "Me" for some reason. Might have been for Norton, since it's finicky about running Disk Doctor from the startup drive. Could have something to do with it.

Ok a good piece of advice... Never change the permissions on your Hard Drive. You may not even be able to boot from it afterwards. I suggest you cahnge permissions back to System, remove Norton, restart and then try again.

Did you check to see that your Hard Drive permissons have been set back to what they were before as well as Repair Permissions ?

Create another user and log into that account and see if you can download.
If you can't, reinstall the system.

Back