can't empty trash

rshloosh

Registered
Hi

I recently saw 2 freind machines (10.5.7) one was G5 2Ghz and another is Intel macPro Quad core 3Ghz, in the situation that you cant empty trash.
if i go to terminal and sudo rm -rf i can delete the files , however any new file i create (new folder for example) have the same problem.

Anyone has an idea how to fix that?

Thanks!
RS

>Have you tried the suggestions in this Apple Knowledge Base article?

Yup, this article doesn't take care of "How to delete file you cant via UI" however my case is :
every new file i create has that problem -*so there must be a way to fix the file creation rather then rm -rf every file ;-)

Usually its one stubborn file that won't delete in which case I've had pretty good luck restoring the file to the desktop and then deleting through Terminal. But you are saying things are just accumulating in your trash?

Usually its one stubborn file that won't delete in which case I've had pretty good luck restoring the file to the desktop and then deleting through Terminal. But you are saying things are just accumulating in your trash?

Yep that is correct... after i rm -rf all file any new file created/Downloaded will keep on accumulating in the trash can as if there is a strike...

I periodically find that I cannot empty trash. Seems it is a specific type of file that causes this - I get something like "Cannot empty trash - error 50." Choices are "Stop" or "Continue" I continue to hit continue until eventually there are some files that just will not erase. (Various types, mpegs, docs, ) I tried Onyx, IceClean and neither cleared the trash. Also tried the Terminal solution - none worked! However " iTrash" does the job!! Great solution from www.osxbytes.com - I think you get 5 free shots after which you have to register - 7.50 Euro - about $10

Back