Can't get rid of audiobook tracks

SatCure

Registered
I have the iPod which does colour pictures but not movies.

I uploaded an Audiobook CD so that all the tracks were converted to AAC in the iTunes library. Then I ran a script that I'd installed called "Make Bookmarkable" which converted the file type to .m4b and moved all the tracks into iTunes' Audiobooks folder. Then I connected my iPod and synced.

Then I discovered another script "Join Together" which would join audiobook tracks together to make one. it told me to download and install Apple's Chapter_Tool so I did that first.

I ran the script and, sure enough, it used QuickTime to concatenate the tracks and make a single audiobook track with "chapter" breaks embedded, in iTunes' Audiobooks folder.

I then deleted the individual audiobook tracks from that folder and reconnected the iPod. iTunes uploaded the new complete audiobook track but the original tracks remained on the iPod!

So this is my problem (after the preamble). The tracks are no longer in iTunes at all (although a search finds them in
Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Music -> Collin Dexter -> The Daughters of Cain

Trashing this folder and resyncing has no effect. The tracks are still on my iPod. In fact it's getting worse. I now see MORE audiobook tracks in the iPod audiobook folder.

I tried a complete software reload with no effect.

Is there any software that will let me delete these tracks directly on the iPod?

OK, I finally found the answer. Somehow these tracks are marked as special. It's not the "audiobook" genre or the .m4b file type but something else. Whatever it is tells the iPod to put them into the "Audiobooks" section - even though they don't appear there in the iTunes window or in the iPod window in iTunes!

The final answer was to hunt down the tracks in the iTunes music library window - not easy since they were all called "track 01" etc. - and to delete them completely. When the iPod was reconnected, the unwanted tracks were then removed from the iPod Audiobooks folder.

I'm glad to be of help. :)

In case it's of further help, I took screen shots and wrote a "tutorial" on how to load audiobook tracks off CD into iTunes, convert them to m4b (bookmarkable) and combine them into a single track with "chapter" markers that your iPod will jump to when prodded.

See http://www.podcaststingers.com

The resultant file can be dragged to your Hard Disc and dragged into iTunes on a different computer, where it will instantly appear in the "Audiobooks" library and nowhere else.

This stumped me at first because there was no sign of the "Audiobooks" library icon in iTunes on my wife's G4 tower. However, some kind soul suggested I Look in iTunes -> Preferences -> General and check the "Audiobooks" radio button (which was unchecked - doh!)

Back