Can't Install Windows 7 with Bootcamp

RonnieM

Registered
Hallo, I am new to Mac and to forums. I am trying to install Win 7 with bootcamp. I have a new MacBook Pro and I have bought an OEM version of Win 7 Ultimate. I downloaded it and burnt it to a DVD. The DVD boots on a windows PC but I have the following when I try installing it with bootcamp 3 which came with the installed OSX 10.6: When clicking the "install windows" button the screen goes grey, the computer restarts and then the screen goes black and stays that way. The Windows installation screen never appears. I have tried many items listed in many forums but with no success. There seems to be many similar issues around but I have been unsuccessful using them. Can anyone help? I surly hope so. ...Ronnie.

Holy crap $319 for Windows....

So if I remember right, the only way to get Windows is to buy the disc and not download it? Unless there's something I don't know.

Have you tried holding option when starting up and then selecting the disc from the menu of options or setting the Windows disc as the startup disc?

Thanks for the response.

The OEM version was $119.

Yes I have tried both ways you suggest. Usually by holding down option the other disc does not show up as a boot option. But if one makes the optical drive the start up disc the same thing happens. The black screen appears and just sits there until one restarts. Sometimes a message appears on a black screen that says a start disc can't be found... I have tried PRAM and SMC resets too. ...Ronnie.

Did you purchase the full install, and not just an upgrade?
OEM version does not include both 32-bit and 64-bit installs as the full version does.
Which did you purchase?

You 'believe' it's a full version? Don't you know for sure?
You got an authentication COA for that, which would describe which version you have.
It would be part of your download, I suppose...

I would suggest running your Boot Camp utility again, which will give you the opportunity to remove the partition that you created for the Windows install.
Might be a good time to consider if you really need Windows at that point - :)
After removing that partition in Boot Camp, Run Boot Camp again, creating another partition, and, Boot Camp would ask for the Windows installer disk. When Boot Camp recognizes that installer disk, you should then be able to successfully restart to that Windows installer disk.
If you again get the message similar to "no startup disk found" - or another like it - burn another installer disk. Your copy may not boot an EFI partition, and you may need to get a 'real' installer disk from Microsoft...

Did you purchase that OEM version direct from Microsoft - or did you purchase from some other OEM supplier? The Microsoft one would be something like a system builder's version, I suppose. That one should work, if you can burn the image properly. If you got it from somewhere else - it may not be one that can work with the Boot Camp partition (OEM for DELL, or HP, or etc.)

You 'believe' it's a full version? Don't you know for sure?
You got an authentication COA for that, which would describe which version you have.
It would be part of your download, I suppose...

I would suggest running your Boot Camp utility again, which will give you the opportunity to remove the partition that you created for the Windows install.
Might be a good time to consider if you really need Windows at that point - :)
After removing that partition in Boot Camp, Run Boot Camp again, creating another partition, and, Boot Camp would ask for the Windows installer disk. When Boot Camp recognizes that installer disk, you should then be able to successfully restart to that Windows installer disk.
If you again get the message similar to "no startup disk found" - or another like it - burn another installer disk. Your copy may not boot an EFI partition, and you may need to get a 'real' installer disk from Microsoft...

Did you purchase that OEM version direct from Microsoft - or did you purchase from some other OEM supplier? The Microsoft one would be something like a system builder's version, I suppose. That one should work, if you can burn the image properly. If you got it from somewhere else - it may not be one that can work with the Boot Camp partition (OEM for DELL, or HP, or etc.)

Well you could have gotten the 64 bit version though....

I'm not sure how legit the copy is though, $119 does not seem right at all for the Ultimate Full Version of Windows 7. The Upgrade of the Ultimate version is even more expensive than that.

Dear DeltaMac. I have, after a long battle with trying many things including a hardware diagnosis which showed no problem and a complete reinstall of OSX concluded that the optical drive has an intermittent fault. After the reinstall I was able to get the windows install started which aborted with the message that the the drive was most likely faulty. Imagine, Windows clearly stating the problem for me while the Mac diagnosis found nothing! Ironic. This is the cause and I am taking the matter of a repair up with Apple. Thank you for your time and the response. Undoubtedly I will be back for further help on the forum as I continue my journey with Mac. Best regards .... Ronnie.

Dear icemanjc. Thank you for the response. Here is the site I bought the software from. http://software-users.com/ Looks legit to me but of course I can't vouch for it. They have been very responsive from their help desk and answered every question I have put to them very quickly. Best regards .... Ronnie.

You were stolen. This company has no legal place to operate. The address that is mentioned on their site does not exist.

Even if you though that you bought legal software, you didn't.

Yup, I'm with Chevy on this one. Just looking at the prices there for something like Adobe CS4, it's quite obvious that it's a scam site. Most of what's listed there is probably illegally copied and won't work if it needs activation.

... Undoubtedly I will be back for further help on the forum as I continue my journey with Mac...

Hopefully, that journey will allow you to find legitimate software sources, eh?
- from your chosen software site:
This software is not registered online. But we can offer you all updates for most of the software.
Does that mean that you need to get any Windows updates from that site?

Back