can't read disc

Scott B

Registered
I am having trouble reading certain disc on my emac. When I insert a system disc that came with my emac it will boot, but if I insert a game cd it will not boot. Any ideas?

Yikes! the computer is only 2 years old, I am a strong believer in Mac's but this seems abnormal. Is this a costly item - a new drive? is their other ways I can trouble shoot to see if this really is the problem?
Thanks

Yes, except the original computer discs. The same cds that we used to play games from, now are not loading and cannot play.
Any suggestions?????

Scott B said:
I am having trouble reading certain disc on my emac. When I insert a system disc that came with my emac it will boot, but if I insert a game cd it will not boot. Any ideas?
Instead of 'boot', do you really mean 'mount'? The only CDs you can boot from are CDs with some sort of system software on them, like your Mac OS X Install CDs/DVDs. You cannot boot your computer from a game CD.

Is what you really mean that the CD itself won't mount on your computer, and does not show up on the desktop?

Yes, that is correct, cds will not mount on my desktop and therefore cannot play or see the information on the cd - however, these are the same cds that we were able to play and see when we first got the computer. Any ideas????

If your CDs were home-burned, then they may have simply faded to the point where they can no longer be read.

Hm. So what happens? Does the eMac spit them out again? Or do you have to restart the Mac to get the CDs out? If they stay in, does Apple System Profiler or Disk Utility see the disk(s)? Did you repair permissions on the main drive using Disk Utility already? (Do so, if you haven't, then restart and try again with a game CD...)

Back