Carbons Widget Set

Evilguru

Registered
I am currently in the process of learning Carbon (using the aptly titled book, learning carbon) and am quite enjoying it, coming from a procedural background. However playing around in the interface builder and looking at Apples HIG I have found that there seem to be significantly fewer Carbon widgets available than there are for Cocoa.

Thinking about it, many Carbon applications on my Mac appear to be 'UI-misfits' looking strange with custom controls here there and everywhere, so I would like to know if Apple is still selling Carbon as an API for developing new OS X applications, or if it is just there for porting between the Win32 API? Is it possible to create premier 'from the ground up' Mac applications using Carbon with UIs that match those of Apples own or should I be looking in the direction of Cocoa for that kind of thing?

Regards, Freddie.

Carbon was never intended for "porting between the Win32 API" -- Carbon is leftover from OS 9, and was a semi-transitional API used both for Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X... once Mac OS X gained widespread use on the Mac, though, Cocoa became the latest and greatest API.

I would highly recommend learning Cocoa over Carbon, but Carbon knowledge will still benefit you greatly. Cocoa is the de-facto, standard, and recommended API for programming under Mac OS X.

Back