CD " in use" and will not eject

ex2bot

Registered Bot
Ok,

I have a cd in the drive that will not eject. Finder says "The operation could not be completed. . .[name] is in use."

I did install a program from the cd, but the installer shouldn't be running and I can't figure out what is holding on to the disc.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you for the replies!

I should have mentioned that I was looking for a way to do it without logging out.

Doug

w/o logging out, go into the process viewer, which is in theutilities folder of the applications folder, and forcequit anything that looks like it might be associated with the cd

Yup. I tried that, but I'm still not sure what many of those processes are.

Oh, well. A restart fixed the problem.

Thx!

this might relly screw everything up but you could hit the lil eject thingy with a paper clip (A computer users #1 tool!)

I've seen that too, sometimes it looks like the OS itself is holding the CD.
I will try to control click the cd in a finder window and it will give that error
then if I try to eject the CD from the desktop (drag to the trash) it will works.
looks like there is too many way we can eject a CD and sometimes you have to try them all to eject.. ??

-Sighter

Sometimes when the CD willnot eject it takes and App like iTunes or the DVD Player to force the issue. Start iTunes and hit the eject button.

I had a similar issue with a Zip disk, only the damn thing never mounted and the manual eject hole is not accessible on the newer 'Quicksilver' boxes so I had to restart and finally the disk mounted.

Back