CD-RW problems in 10.2.3

metiure

Registered
Simply put: Jaguar can't really detect my external CD-RW.

Everything used to work fine in OSX 10.1, though. My QPS FireWire 8x4x32 CD-RW (Samsung mechanism) has always been detected by the system, and i could burn CDs, from the Finder or Toast, no probs.

Since Jaguar, things are strange. First, in 10.2, the burner was detected only if i switched it on before the Mac. Then, once in the Finder, i still had to switch the burner off and on again. Then, it worked. It seems this was necessary to load the needed kernel extensions (?). Anyway, after some tries, the burner was detected.

Recent Apple updates to Jaguar only aggravate the situation. Now, in 10.2.3, it's almost impossible to get the burner detected I only succeed to get it detected after half an hour of swithing on and off the burner, and 2 or 3 cold reboots. For a FireWire device, it looks like a weird behaviour!

Another weird thing: Apple System Profiler detects the attached FireWire QPS burner, even though i can't make the Finder or Toast 5.2 recognize it! Here is the relevant ASP info:

-----------
FireWire ()
GUID 1010021500c4aa
ID Manufacturer 499
Speed 400Mb/sec
SW version 10483
Name QPS
Name QBP-2 Bridge
ID CD-R/RW SW-208B
ID SAMSUNG
Product Rev BS01
-----------

From the system log, i get no special error message. The only FireWire related error is this one:

--------
Jan 27 14:12:09 vic's computer mach_kernel: IOFireWireSBP2Login::fetchAgentWriteComplete fetch agent write failed!
--------

Can someone figure out what's going on? It's really stressing for me: each time i want to burn a CD, i have to struggle with my Mac for about half an hour!

And today, i give up. No more burner. So i need some effective help.

Thanks.

Vic

iMac DVSE 2000, OSX 10.2.3, 384 MB RAM, 30 Gb
QPS FireWire 8x4x32 CD-RW

Back