Change timestamp?

Sunnz

Who wants a stylus?
What timestamps are kept for files? Creation time, access, modify times??

I am wondering, how do I change these times for a particular file.

What I want to do is to create a new file B, that has the same timestamps as file A... and I don't mind if this needs to be done via the terminal.

Thanks.

Hello Sunnz,

This may not do exactly what you need, but I found this little app (attached) that allows you to change the created/modified date on a file. Place the app anywhere, then drag and drop the file you want to change the date of on top of the app icon. You should then get a pop up box asking for the new date/time.

Worked for me :)

Attachments

• ChangeDate.zip
    19.3 KB · Views: 238
I know that in Linux there's a command called "touch" that updates the timestamp to the current date. I have never checked to see if it exists in OS X.

'... in Linux ' (derived from UNIX) is '"touch" that updates the timestamp to the current date. I have never checked to see if it exists in OS X.' - launch 'Terminal' ('/Applications/Utilities/' folder), enter 'man touch', and press the <return> key.

Ahh, I always thought touch was only used to create a file!! Cool, I'll tried it!! Thanks!!!

'... in Linux ' (derived from UNIX) is '"touch" that updates the timestamp to the current date. I have never checked to see if it exists in OS X.' - launch 'Terminal' ('/Applications/Utilities/' folder), enter 'man touch', and press the <return> key.

True, I could have done that....I usually do. I just recently learned about touch though and haven't bothered to check on my Mac since I haven't had the need to use it there. :)

touch is more powerful than just updating to the current time. You can change the timestamp to any date/time you want.

Wow thanks for the site? May I ask which ep talks about touch? Shell command one?

Ack...I don't remember which one. It was one of the most recent ones. It was a listener tip I believe. You might have to go through them, unfortunately. Thankfully, all of them are excellent podcasts so they are worth listening through. :)

Back