Classic Won't Start: No permissions to /System Folder

ZeroAltitude

Registered
Hi,

I messed up my System folder and System Folder folder in a fiasco I described elsewhere on this site. Now, as root, I *can* launch Classic, but as another Admin, I get

Classic can't start: you don't have sufficient permission to start Classic from /System Folder.

Can someone tell me any or all of these things:

1) what should the permissions in /System and /System Folder be? (a recursive file listing as an attachment would be wildly helpful)

2) what files does Classic use? I thought it was TruBlueEnvironment, which is SetUid ROOT, and so I'm surprised this happens at all. What are all the resource files Classic needs?

Any help would be really cool. I have other options if I don't get anywhere this way, but I would rather *understand* than *restore*.

Thanks,

Hi!

If the /System Folder folder has the wrong permissions, you can't start Classic. In particular, it seems that the *user* running classic *must* be able to *write* to that folder. My folder was root/wheel, writable only by root. My admin user is a member of the wheel group, and so by changing permissions to 775, viola, all fixed.

Hi,

Thanks very much testuser for putting your information up. It's fantastic.

Luckily, I, unlike some others who have had worse problems, have been a unix user long enough to know not to do recursive directory permission changes unless I know exactly what I am doing.

So the good news is that luckily, my problem was not as dire as the one you worried I had -- none of my other files, including the ones listed, appear to have the wrong permissions.

My problem was more limited and affected the permissions only of the System Folder folder itself, and that story plays out in the thread I mentioned above regarding my odd boot problem that I solved in an... unconventional manner.

Regardless, this information you have posted is valuable, and I'm happy to have it as a reference, and I am positive others will find it valuable as well!

P.s. Yes, I live and die by hfspax nowadays, and I was very happy to know I could restore these problem directories if I had to. I do hope to find time someday soon to put a GUI over gene's nice script. -0

Hi,

I am having the same problem as posted above. I can no longer get classic to run, it tells me that TruBlueEnvironment, must be set to SetUid ROOT.

I think I have messed up the settings when I logged in a root to get access to read + write to my harddisk, which had for some reason chaged to read only when I was logged in as an administrator, I think this was associated with the installation of my new firewire ext. hard disk.

I see you have posted a way of resetting this but I am unsure if I understand how to do this, can someone please try and clarify what I have to do to restore the correct settings for a newbie to mac root user access.

Thanks,

Crazy 88

Back