Colour iPod (merged thread)

Come on guys, be nice. I'm also wish to see the new color screen Ipod, but I didn't. Honestly I'm a little bite disappointed, but I likt the new wheel. I got the 3rd generation now, but will give that to my wife and get the new 4th generation tomorrow. I just hope they won't release the 5th generation or bigger hard drive Ipod anytime soon. I'm using a 40GB now, and would like to have a bigger drive, but the 4th generation still only have 40GB. :(

Anyways I think rumours mean rumours..... something we don't know it's true or not. If we know for sure, it's not call rumours, it's call the fact. So I won't be too harsh on anyone who have said anything about the 4th generation before. :p :p

Rumors are rumors. But Scott did go out on a limb and confirm, without a doubt, that the version that just came out would have color (despite the practicality of such a move, especially related to battery life).
And the extra e-mails sent out. Other Mac sites were even quoting this site as having confirmed it (even after the earlier iBox debacle).
This site has been on a downward slope and a second whiff didn't help things out.
A year ago, this was a very vibrant and helpful site. Nowadays, too many trolls inhabit, too much grandstanding from some of overly zealous moderators. Do a search from a year ago and read the threads. Intelligent, friendly and open to differing views without resorting to nastiness and putdowns. Now look and read many of the theads here now. And look at the people writing a year ago and see how many more make more than a meager contribution here and there.

Randman said:
Rumors are rumors. But Scott did go out on a limb and confirm, without a doubt, that the version that just came out would have color (despite the practicality of such a move, especially related to battery life).
And the extra e-mails sent out. Other Mac sites were even quoting this site as having confirmed it (even after the earlier iBox debacle).
This site has been on a downward slope and a second whiff didn't help things out.
A year ago, this was a very vibrant and helpful site. Nowadays, too many trolls inhabit, too much grandstanding from some of overly zealous moderators. Do a search from a year ago and read the threads. Intelligent, friendly and open to differing views without resorting to nastiness and putdowns. Now look and read many of the theads here now. And look at the people writing a year ago and see how many more make more than a meager contribution here and there.

yet despite all your bitchin, you for whatever reason still stick around. :rolleyes:

can i have your soap box when you're done? :D

as for contribution, your post has nothing to do with the thread it is in therefor i conclude it contributes NOTHING.

as for the color iPod, theres nothing to see here looky-loos, move along!

honestly though, we've all taken our fair share of jabs at the rumor, it didnt pan out, its not the end of the world so who really cares?

all the i-told-you-sos isnt going to change that fact, make you better looking, or even more intelligent. someone should close this thread so we can focus on more important things.

*hands Randman's soap box back to him* Thanks! :D

kendall said:
yet despite all your bitchin, you for whatever reason still stick around. :rolleyes:

can i have your soap box when you're done? :D

as for contribution, your post has nothing to do with the thread it is in therefor i conclude it contributes NOTHING.
At least I haven't been banned? :eek:

My comment, if you cared to read, was in response to another poster's comment.

Besides, you, of all people lately, should be acting holier-than-thou around here.
I stick around because I think this site still has potential and I still find some things that attract my attention. But to use you as an example kendall, when I first joined this site, you seemed very level-headed and offered good suggestions and seemed open to disagreements, right or wrong.
I don't know what happened or who rubbed you the wrong, and I don't care, but lately you seemed to personify "troll", and it's not just me. There have been other threads on your behavior in recent weeks.

If anything, it's your posts that don't seem to have much to add, more like you have some grudge and decided to make a comment about it.
My original comments were that this site lost some face when such a big deal was made about the color rumor and that isn't going to help it attract (and keep) people around very easily.
Throw in churlish and childish behavior from a few miscreants *cough, cough* and there's even less reason to visit.

*packs soapbox up and goes to adjust ignore list once again*

Randman said:

ur post couldnt be more accurate.... i agree totally..

u mentioned somethin bout trolls .... it seems u offended them, and they comin out of the holes to attack u. (hint: see kendall)

this site is goin down, and the color ipod scam didnt help it...

ppl like Hulkaros who really helped out and contributed left cause of the situation round here.

i havent left here completely cause this was my first mac forum...
but i dont see me stayin here longer...

one this is sure,
next time this site posts a confirmation.
it will be refered to as: 'macosx.com has not been particullarly accurate in the past with rumours of a color ipod and iBox'
theyve lost their credibility, thats good !

gerbick said:
there's never been a "reliable source" unless you include baseless speculation as your "source"...

In this arena, there is only ONE reliable source, and often HE isn't that reliable:

Steve Jobs....

macosx will be right... like Steve... but who knows when (a bit like Steve annoucements) ?

I am sure one day we'll have color screen iPods.

... unless they're going to invent a new name for higher end media devices. Although I think 'iPod' has such brand-awareness that they couldn't possibly switch to something different here... So... Yes, I also think we'll have colour screen iPods one day. However, that might still take a while, as Apple's probably waiting for the right partner in video...

yeah and one day will have 3D screens, not really confirmed, but it will happen.

so will the colour iPod .
when the technology has advanced and the colour screens are cheap and good, they will be used in iPods, but that wont happen this year, neither next year probably...

and its a shame to tell Lies to ppl to serve ur own forum's purposes :)

3D screens :D oh yeah !!! and touch screens... I mean screens that we can touch and get the feeling from ? to watch movies ! oh yeah (sorry, too late to patent it: Salvador Dali already draw the idea a few 50 years ago).

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0410photoipod.html

October 8, 2004 - After three years of being synonymous with "digital music player," Apple's iPod will widen its horizons and gain photo-viewing capabilities within the next 30 to 60 days, highly reliable sources tell Think Secret.

The new iPod, which will sit at the top of Apple's fourth-generation line-up, will pack Toshiba's new 60GB 1.8-inch hard drive, a 2-inch color liquid crystal display, iPhoto synchronization, audio/video-out capabilities, and will sell for $499.

The new iPod is currently in production in Asia after delays from Toshiba in delivering its new 60GB drive hampered a planned early-September ramp up. Sources confirm Toshiba started shipping the drive to Apple in mid-September and iPod manufacturer Inventec began building the new device in the last two weeks.

The new iPod's form factor will be identical to the existing 4G iPods, sources report, but will be two millimeters thicker than the current 40GB iPod and marginally heavier.

The 2-inch color screen is identical in size to other iPods, but will sport a higher resolution for photo viewing. However, the new device's real shining feature will be its video-out port, which will enable users to tote their photo galleries with them, ready to be plugged into any television for big-screen viewing.

The 60GB iPod will feature only rudimentary built-in software for viewing photos, with no editing tools, sources say. Photo albums will be navigated in a similar fashion to music playlists, and a slideshow feature will provide transitions with user-specified background music, similar to iPhoto. Synchronizing features similar to iTunes will also be added to iPhoto.

The new iPod won't feature built-in flash memory stick slots for downloading photos from digital cameras, although such a feature will presumably be able to be employed through Belkin's $99 Media Reader.

Sources indicate that Apple will market the new photo iPod as being capable of storing 20,000 music tracks and 25,000 photos. As an added bonus for music fans, album artwork will be displayed on screen when it's available for a selected track.

Rumors of a 60GB iPod first surfaced in June, when Toshiba said that it was in the process of developing a 60GB drive and, much to the ire of Apple, confirmed that the iPod maker had already committed to buying it in quantity.

oh - and I'll be a tad annoyed if it is true, as I've only just bought my 40GB 4G iPod, but would love this new rumoured one.

yeap me too actually :) i buyed my 40GB 4G iPod because it was the most full featured one. otherwise i would have bought and iPod mini. it wasnt a matter of price...

but i sure would give a bit more for such an iPod and would be really annoyed if it came out soon :p

lnoelstorr said:

So far, the new iPod described sounds a little pointless.

2mm thicker and heavier than the 40Gb iPod for what, photo viewing capability? ::sleepy::

(plus, it was just yesterday that they brought out the 4G iPod and even that was just a tiny bump in terms of functionality compared to the 3G - battery life and the mini scrollwheel)

I'd want a new iPod to do at least one of the following:
  • Video playback (esp. given that quite a few decent devices are coming out with this now) - Apple is going to start losing serious ground here soon
  • 802.11 g - so you could download pictures to the iPod from a 802.11g enabled camera, play multiplayer games with other iPod users (the games currently on the iPod are pretty hopeless) and send your music to an Airport Express
  • Bluetooth - so you could sync contacts/calendars and use the iPod as a remote control for your Mac via Salling Clicker
  • Ability to play back Keynote presentations, display PDFs and play Quicktime on a projector - if the video out functionality mentioned had this capability (esp. effectively controlling the presentation) that'd be pretty cool.

Kap

I'd love photo viewing capability, especially with the video-out (not too bothered about on screen). Also, I'd assume it'd work alongside my Belkin media reader.

Just load up all my holiday snaps and take them round to show my parents on their TV. All carried in my pocket.

Also great for presentations, just load up the slides as images, take it along, hook it up to a projector, hey-presto!

I'm guessing 2 mm thicker for the extra hardware required for AV out. How do you expect them to pack in another chip in there and keep it at the same thickness?

Yes, and probably also for the room. And: Don't forget that the 4G iPod went down in price, so the 499 spot was free now... Just think of it as the most expensive iPod with some added features.

However: Can they really bring colour screens to iPods without taking them to all models in the 5th generation with even _more_ features, i.e. video? I'm okay with this one if they think they can't do it _right_ this time (video), but I hope they won't be too late to the market with video...

As for my 40 GB 4G iPod: I don't need photo capabilities in my iPod, and 40 GB is more than enough for my music. I had a 2G iPod, now a 4G iPod, I _guess_ I'll skip this 60 GB iPod and the next generation... :)

Back