CompUSA shutting down?

whitesaint

cocoa love
I've been hearing rumors of CompUSA shutting down. This would really suck. CompUSA is one of the few third party major retailers that sells macs. What would happen to people considering a mac? I mean most people, if they want a computer they will just go to any old store and buy one. There's a CompUSA literally 5 minutes away from me, the Apple Store where I live is more like 35-40 minute drive. It's just that people are always in Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA just checking stuff out. If they come along a mac section, they might consider it. I just think that if this happens, Apple will lose a lot of exposure. Can anyone confirm this?

I've been hearing rumors of CompUSA shutting down. This would really suck. CompUSA is one of the few third party major retailers that sells macs. What would happen to people considering a mac? I mean most people, if they want a computer they will just go to any old store and buy one. There's a CompUSA literally 5 minutes away from me, the Apple Store where I live is more like 35-40 minute drive. It's just that people are always in Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA just checking stuff out. If they come along a mac section, they might consider it. I just think that if this happens, Apple will lose a lot of exposure. Can anyone confirm this?

Were did you hear this?

"Privately held CompUSA, controlled by Mexican financier Carlos Slim Helu's Grupo Carso SA, said discussions were under way to sell certain stores in key markets. Stores that can't be sold will be closed."

Did you miss this part?

CompUSA isn't such a huge loss for mac users since they haven't ever really put much focus into the product line.

And this news story isn't exactly ground breaking. Started in February:
http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=484444&page=

I don't care if there's a bad review of CompUSA or if you're skeptical of them shutting down. I'm going to miss the opportunity for Apple to be in another store. The fact is, I was just in CompUSA today, and their shutting ALL their stores down by February. In fact, almost all items (excluding tv's, computers, etc) are 10% off. Don't believe me? Go to a CompUSA and ask them what's going on, they'll tell you. Read a little more instead of just bad reviews and my link before making your lame reply sound like a fact. Sorry for being arrogant, but hey just returning the favor.

Do you have any sources besides employees in a store?

Oh, and thanks for being unnecessarily rude. Not sure why you took my posts as a personal attack; it certainly wasn't meant to be. I don't know you, so how could it be personal? And furthermore, I wasn't attacking you, just disagreeing with you little bit.

The 'February' mentioned in the article was this year. I haven't seen any news reports that Feb 2008 is the final date for all stores. Have you found any news articles anywhere saying this??

Take a chill pill and buy your mac stuff at Fry's Electronics if you have to, or Small Dog..or any of the literally dozens of mac retailers out there.

@Natobasso

Hey thanks for being a sarcastic arrogant jerk again. I really do appreciate it. Do I have any other sources than employees in a store? Well in this country, the people that work in a store usually know what their store is up to. Did you ever go to a CompUSA to see if what I told you was true? Yeah I thought so. I may have been partly wrong in that they may not be closing all stores, but sure as hell most of them. And chances are most of them will be closed soon enough.

And where on earth do you get your info that it was February of '07? Please, please show me where you got that info from.

And Small Dog, Fry's Electronics? There's barely any kinds of stores like that in half the U.S. And even if there was, why on earth would the average american want to buy a mac from them? My point of this entire thread is that CompUSA is a great place for people to check out macs for everyone that doesn't live within 5 miles of an Apple Store.

I'm sorry but this forum is usually reserved for non-retards.

And sources? Are you freaking kidding me? There's reliable sources all over the net about this:

Computer World
Herald Tribune
Gizmodo
Yahoo
Engadget

I'm an arrogant jerk?! You need to learn some manners, my friend. Using the word 'retard' shows your lack of class. Nice work. You sure are taking this personally!

The articles say "The retail stores that don't sell will be shut down". That means some stores may remain open; maybe someone else will buy them. Ever think of that? Just a thought.

You say apple loses exposure by CompUSA being shut down. I think this is totally untrue. Have you seen Apple sales are higher now than they have ever been?! And um, how about all the apple stores opening up across the country?

I don't think Apple gives a hoot about this new development. Just my opinion. Do you have one beyond trying to pick a fight with me?

This has been all over the news. CompUSA is history after the holidays.
http://www.computerworld.com/action...icleBasic&articleId=9051858&source=rss_news10

Realizing that they were going to be losing an important sales channel, Apple cut a deal to do a very similar "Apple store within a store" arrangement with Best Buy to the one they had with CompUSA. These stores within a store will be manned by Apple employees, not Best Buy employees. Many Best Buys have already had them for a while now, and the rest will get them eventually. Some of these stores within a store will even have their own walls to separate them from the rest of the Best Buy store.

The Best Buy Apple stores won't do repairs, and they won't carry all Apple products. You won't see iPhones there, for instance.
http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/04/05.1.shtml

My point of this entire thread is that CompUSA is a great place for people to check out macs for everyone that doesn't live within 5 miles of an Apple Store.

I have to disagree. The 3 CompUSA stores around my are (before they closed during the last round of closings) were all looking like the were run down, stuck in 1993 and had almost zero people on the floor. As a retail store, especially an electronic store, having help on the floor makes ALL the difference. plus the rise of internet electronic sales help put the nail into the CompUSA coffin.

Now I am going out on the edge and make a retail prediction. I am seeing what CompUSA went through the last two years I am now seeing Circuit City making then same move/mistakes. That company has maybe two years left if they keep on the same strategy course.

Now I am going out on the edge and make a retail prediction. I am seeing what CompUSA went through the last two years I am now seeing Circuit City making then same move/mistakes. That company has maybe two years left if they keep on the same strategy course.

You may be right.

As I understand it, from what I've read, CompUSA started to lose money when the prices of computers started to really fall, and margins became too thin. They expanded into selling televisions, but the same thing happened there too.

Circuit City sells a much broader range of stuff than CompUSA did. Best Buy even more. But its getting harder and harder for both to compete with WalMart and Target. In the toy market, both Toys4Us and KayBee were driven to bankruptcy because they could not compete with Walmart and Target.

Here in California, The Good Guys chain of consumer electroics stores just recently went under. So its not hard to envision Circuit City going out of business at some point. It would be terrible if Best Buy were the last one standing. Some of their practices, especially concerning repairs, have encouraged me never to purchase from them again.

The bigger brick and mortar stores such as Circuit City and Best Buy are finding it difficult to compete on price with Walmart or the convenience (and price) of more online retailers like NewEgg.

The market is still trying to figure out how to make money doing both successfully and I agree there will be more changes coming before things settle out.

This article is pretty timely:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/568...-sales-bad-news-for-best-buy-and-circuit-city

If this is the case, I have to wonder how much worse CompUSA will be if TD is the owner of them now. TD doesn't have the highest reputation for reliability from what I've read (and sometimes experienced).

Back