Computer storage full, what about having it only on the iPod?

dalo

Registered
Hi folks.

My PowerBook17" has been starting to running out of space. Needless to say, the space is mosly occupied by huge music library. Huge in the meaning that more important stuff should be on the computer, while having the ipod dedicated to what it does best. Im thinking about, and seeking peoples experiences, of switching, having the whole library on the ipod and not use it to synch a computer library.

How does it work with podcast, not that I have so many. Do the ipod have to be in disc mode, or disc mode + "organize self" ?

Tell me about this, help me and others, with full har disks on their computers.

You can sync podcasts separately from music and vice versa. Setting music to sync manually (ie., never if you delete the song files on your computer) and setting podcasts to sync however you like should enable you to utilize the ipod in the manner you suggest.

Now, for the ugly part. It would be insane to use the ipod in that manner. If your music has any value to you, you will buy extra storage for the computer (internal or external), store the iTunes files there, and use the ipod the way it was intended...as a syncing device.

Utilizing the ipod as a sole source of data (music or otherwise) is flirting with disaster.

You could store a backup file with music on the iPod, separate from the actually playable music - a copy of the iTunes folder. You'd still be vulnerable to hardware failure though, which happens often in iPods.

Hardware failure, battery failure, software lock-up, loss, theft . . .

Just think how many times posters here are told to "reset" their iPod. Poof. Gone.

Back