Computer Won't Boot After 10.2.5 Update

kschneider

Registered
HELP!!! B&W G3 upgraded to NewerTech G4/450 - 512 RAM - Adaptec 2930 - Radeon 7000 for 2nd monitor.

I upgraded to 10.2.5 via Software Update. I clicked restart and got a Kernel Panic. I hit the hard restart button on the front of the B&W. I now get gray on both monitors for restart with the dark gray Apple logo on the main screen but no round spinning icon. It just sits there forever.

I zapped the PRAM - No luck. I took out the Adaptec 2930 - No luck. I took out the Radeon 7000 - No luck. All I get after all these restarts is the dark gray Apple logo on the main screen but no round spinning icon. What should I do?

Thanks,

-= Ken =-

Insert the Mac OS X system disk and open Disk Utility. Run the Repair Disk and Repair Permissions routines.

If that doesn't do it, you'll most likely have to reinstall the system. The Install program will offer to save your home directory and user settings and move the old System to a Previous System Folder. Choose that option.

Hope this works out for you.

Disk Utility didn't work. I ran DiskWarrior overnight and it is still running - over 12 hours! It is still on step 6 of 11 and says "Overlapped files detected: 17698". By the time I finish this email I'm sure it will be over 17700 files.

It looks like I will have to re-install OS X from scratch, doesn't it? This is the second time with Jaguar updates. It really sucks!

Thanks,
-= Ken =-

kschneider - I had the same problem on a B&W 350, but my grey Apple turned into a grey international "no" symbol after a minute or so. I did an "archive and install" and kept user info (click options after selecting your drive). Then downloaded and installed the 10.2.4 update. All is well now and I didn't lose prefs or email. But I won't reupdate to 10.2.5.

I think I'll have to do the same thing. After 4 straight days of letting DiskWarrior sit and do its thing, it's still running. It is still rebuilding the directory (step 6 of 11). The count for overlapped files is 28,818 and still rising. I give up.

-= Ken =-

I have a question in general about the update process. Perhaps a survey would work here.

Here at work and at home I have been running OS X since 10.0 came out and used all the updates but have not had nary a problem with doing so.

Here are my thoughts/questions, they are common threads I have seen in the various newsgroups I read.

1) When given the option I have always downloaded the Combo version instead of the smaller version.

2) There seems to be issues with none OEM hardware being installed.

3) The only other think I think I can see in common is that those use 56k Dial Up seem to have the most problems.

Any thoughts?

Well, I broke down and wiped the OS X partition clean, re-installed 10.2 and ran the combo updater for 10.2.5. It seems to be running fine. Now I'm putting the 3rd party stuff back one at a time to see if anything gets screwed up. What a long process.

-= Ken =-

Yeah, no kidding. I'm doing the same thing (slowly) but I'm too chicken to reinstall 10.2.5 - I've only gone back to 10.2.4.

Oh - dsatterfield - I'm on cable, not 56k. And my machine's stock except for an USB 2.0 pci card and an Acard ATA-66 pci card, both of which worked just fine with no problems in my Beige G3 DT.

Just updated my B/W G3 350 and 8500 w/XLR8 Zif 266 Mhz Beige G3 chip to 10.2.5 Combo.

1. B/W G3 no issues installed fine, no issues as of yet. As I read through the posts of issues with 10.2.5 updater I have noticed that alot of issues seem to arise with the older G3 (B/W) and G4 (400 Mhz) and I'm wondering if it may have something to do with memory. When I first went from 10.1.5 to 10.2 I had a noticeable speed difference (slower) plus kernal panics that I associated with an Adaptec 29160N SCSI card I was running(If your interested in that issue email me). I remembered that there was an issue with memory and system 10 when it first came out to the point that some manufactures replaced chips at no cost. I have 448 Mb of Ram in my B/W G3 (2-Kinngston 128 & 256) and the original 64 Mb Chip. I had placed these in descending size starting with the 256 at Dimm0/J19. I removed them and reversed the order skipped Dimm3/J21 and everything runs fine now!!

2. 8500/XLR8 266 w/160Mb Ram (I use this for a network server)- This is another issue, not sure what happened:
a. Installed the update
b. Grey screen w/Spinning 'dasiy'
c. Splash screen
d. Blue screen and then nothing!!! No desktop pattern, no icons just blue screen!!
After several hours of Diskwarrior, Retorspect etc., wiped the drive, Insalled 10.2, then Combo 10.2.4 (this was the original state) then 10.2.5 Combo. On the first 10.2.5 install it didn't Install!!! Still read 10.2.4 on sys info, second install worked fine (just 10.2.5 Combo). The onlt difference between the two was I ejected the Updater before reboot, second I left it alone!!

I too had the boot functionality wiped out on my G4/AGP/450 system on the incremental upgrade to 10.2.5 from 10.2.4. I have learned my lesson from past experiences and always make a duplicate copy of my main disk to a secondary backup before I attempt a system upgrade. This has saved my butt more than once!!

Back