Computer wont sleep

Needsumhelp

Registered
Ok, every time I log out, and leave my computer on the login menu (the one to select profiles), my computer just goes to the black screen after about 15 minutes or so. But then if i forget to click the sleep button, it just stays on all night. This doesn't happen if I stay logged in. Only if I am at the login menu.

And I went to the energy saver menu and set the screen saver and sleep thing to one minute. I also checked the "put hard drive to sleep when possible" box.

Anyone know how to fix this, or why it happens?

Btw, I'm running a Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 iMac

What kind of third party add ons do you have? Any PCI cards, USB devices, upgraded non apple ram?

Try removing them all and see if you still have the same problem.

Another thought...have you tried an archive and install of the OS?

What do you mean by third party add ons? I don't have any PCI cards, but as far as USB devices, I have an iPod charger and another mp3 player device plugged in. I also have my keyboard and mouse plugged in, but i don't think that is what you mean.

And about archive and install of the OS, it isn't my computer, it is my dad's, but I know more about it than he does, so I dont even know what an archive and install would be.

I mean anything that didn't come with the computer itself.

An archive and install is when you use the CD's that came with the computer to do a reinstall of the Mac OS. It actually archives your current information, reinstalls the OS, and places your all of your personal information, bookmarks, preferences, etc into the new installation of the Mac OS.

Try removing the "third party add ons" first.

Good Luck-

would that include firefox, any downloadable games, music download programs, antivirus, and other things like that?

oh, and I dont think my dad would be too keen on the idea of re installing the OS, just so the computer will sleep on its own. Oh well.

would that include firefox, any downloadable games, music download programs, antivirus, and other things like that?

oh, and I dont think my dad would be too keen on the idea of re installing the OS, just so the computer will sleep on its own. Oh well.

No, it is aditional hardware (like ipod and other mp3 players, webcam, printers, scanners etc.). Keyboard and/or mouses (especially from apple) should not be a problem.

When you are at the login screen, except for special software exceptions, software is not active thus can not cause the computer not to go to sleep.

So remove the ipod and second mp3 player and check if that changes anything. Might be if the charging of the batterij interfers with the way the computer thinks it is idle.

Good luck, Kees

Check those as well, your log-in items. I found that my Canon Scanner installed two drivers one of which I didn't need which was keeping my Mac Pro up all night. Careful of disabling or deleting something that might be useful. As other replies have stated things plugged in via USB are notorious for not allowing sleep.

Sleep settings are not system-wide. They are set for each user. If you are logged out (at the log-in window), then your Mac does not respond to your user sleep settings. You are logged out, right?
Put your Mac to sleep manually when at the log-in window.

I dont even know what a driver is though... But the computer sleeps fine with stuff plugged in when it's on someone's desktop.

Sleep settings are not system-wide. They are set for each user. If you are logged out (at the log-in window), then your Mac does not respond to your user sleep settings. You are logged out, right?
Put your Mac to sleep manually when at the log-in window.

Thats what I've been having to do. Putting it to sleep every time.

Back