Computer won't turn on intermittently

high_acidity

Registered
About 25% of the time, my computer will not respond when pressing the power button to start. It does nothing, no lights or sound.

The only way I can get the machine to start when this happens is to unplug every cord and cable from the CPU, let it set a while, plug everything back in then it starts. This is very inconvenient.

I don't think this is a software issue, though I did all the usual stuff: running applejack, Disk Utility, etc.

I changed the clock battery and pressing the CUDA button (not at the same time ;-), that did not help. I did not have the tools to test the new battery first, I assume it was fine.

Any other tips or things to try?

Thanks greatly...
-gina-

To add to macworks comment, even if your iMac G5 (assuming this is the computer you have) is not listed in the range of serial numbers be sure to take it in anyways and have them look at the capacitors inside the iMac. If it's still within the 3 year period from your purchase date, then they'll replace the logic board and power supply at no cost. Search for some other threads here regarding iMac G5 and the Repair Extension Program and you'll see some posts from me that go into detail along with some links I provided (I printed these out and took them with me to the Apple Store).

Back