Connecting to a Windows printer

PhilH

Registered
Can any one tell me how I can get Mac OS X 10.1.5 to use a printer that's connected to my Windows XP box?

I can file share just fine, but what about the printer?

Search the forums for your answer... its in there, I found it myself. Basically it involves setting up your windows box as a lpd printer server, then redirecting postscript output from your mac through a ghostscript filter on your pc, which in turn passes its output to your normal printer. Anyway, its been discussed, and I really wish someone would post a HOW TO in the how to section for all to see. I don't have write access in that forum so I can't.

I've got an alternate, perhaps easier answer for you.

Download "Dave" by thursby software. Make sure both of your PC's are on the same "workgroup" name. Enable netbios on your windows PC [for the *internal* network only, make sure you dont expose netbios to the internet]. Also make sure "file and printer sharing" is enabled in windows networking setup.

Then [still on your windows PC] go to your windows Printer folder , right click on the printer you want to share, tell it to share the printer via the sharing tab, give it a name, and then go back to your mac.

Once DAVE is installed on the mac, go to print setup on your mac [print center inside utilities], and a new choice for connection is enabled - "DAVE POSTSCRIPT PRINTING"

All you have to do is select that, then a browser will pop up for your workgroup, just browse right into the name of your shared printer, select it, and you are set!

[Doh- those instructions are long winded, but I promise you, it is very easy and straightforward, provided that your network is setup correctly, and your mac and pc can already talk to eachother somewhat.]

If you have any problems, the dave manual has all the tutorials you need.

Good luck and hope that helps!

Anyway, its been discussed, and I really wish someone would post a HOW TO in the how to section for all to see. I don't have write access in that forum so I can't.

BSDimwit,

If you want to write one up, I'll post it for you. I think it would be a great addition to that forum.

Let me know, becuase I also have a PC printer I've been wanting to get working through my mac. :cool:

Uhm, Kane, I dont mean to sound rude, but where exactly are you getting your information?

I have printed out about 30 odd pages of stuff today using DAVE, sending to my HP laserjet 1200 on my XP machine in the other room. The method I described works for me and for others, and requires no special tweaking or setup, apart from making sure your network is setup properly.

I am using OS X 10.1.4 and 10.1.5 as my mac machine.

[edit- perhaps you are using an old version? I am using 3.1.1]

I had my Mac's Epson Colour 777i shared with DAVE 3.1 to my XP machine.

When I printed something from XP it would print, and then print an infinate amount of copies. The only way I found to stop it was to sudo rm "Dave Spool Folder" heh. Not even restarting (anything: printer, iMac, XP) fixed it!

Originally posted by gibbs
Uhm, Kane, I dont mean to sound rude, but where exactly are you getting your information?

I have printed out about 30 odd pages of stuff today using DAVE, sending to my HP laserjet 1200 on my XP machine in the other room. The method I described works for me and for others, and requires no special tweaking or setup, apart from making sure your network is setup properly.

I am using OS X 10.1.4 and 10.1.5 as my mac machine.

[edit- perhaps you are using an old version? I am using 3.1.1]

oh sorry..last time i checked about a month ago..their site said it didnt support it yet..but it would in their next version..i guess it came out..

kane - no problem, heh, I was kind of laughing and scratching my head when you said that earlier :)

gwailo- I have never tried printing from my XP machine to my mac printer, only from the mac to the XP printer [since its laser I use it to print most of my day to day documents]. Perhaps that is a dave bug you have found, you should try emailing them?

Not all printers that are connected to windows boxes are postscript printers... in fact, most aren't. This in my opinion is one of Mac OSX's greatest faults at the moment. Postscript is great and all, but when the majority of printers out there aren't postscript, its a bit elitist to exclude the others simply because you don't want to bother including drivers. This is the biggest reason I am eagerly anticipating the CUPS addition in 10.2.

Be that as it may, here is a nice workaround for the lack of support...

I got mine working following this thread...

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14674

Hope this helps.

It's Easy but you need Windows 2000 or XP. Add additional networking componetns "Unix Print Services" Then your printer shares in Windows become LPR Shares for MAC.

But MAC doesn't support any non postscript printers that I know of so you can't print unless the printer is PS compatible.

If your printer is a laser printer on an ethernet network with an IP address, all you need is to connect your mac to the ethernet network, select the appropriate printer driver, and enter the IP address. I've done this with the network at the university - painless and easy to do.

Back