Contextual menu

powermac

iMac Dual 2.0 17'
I have delete or de-installed some apps. Although they still show up under the service menu. I can't seem to find them to totally delete them. Does any one know where items in the service menu are stored?

I had Devonthink installed on my PB. I have deleted the program. Did a spotlight & finder search for it. Looked in the contextual menu and services folder and can't seem to locate it anywhere. Devonthink shows up only under the services menu.

The services menu is created by the system every time you login. The system scans the info.plist or Info-macos.plist file of every application available for the NSServices item. To remove or alter a service, first locate the application that responds when the service menu item is selected. Control-click (or right-click) on the application's icon in the Finder (not in the dock) and select "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu. A new folder window will appear; open the "Contents" folder that appears in this window.

In the current folder window should be an Info.plist or Info-macos.plist file. Open this file with the Property List Editor that came with the Developer Tools (if you have them installed) or a program like PrefEdit. You can even use a text editor such as TextEdit if you don't have any of these, but there is much greater chance of something going wrong if you do.

Within this file, find the item called NSServices. If you want to simply remove all services for this application, delete the NSServices item. If instead you want to disable the hotkey, but leave the service available, delete the NSKeyEquivalent item from within each NSService. Save your changes.

Repeat for every service you want to alter/remove. Logout. Login. Give the system about 30 seconds after the Finder appears to build the Services menu. It should now reflect your changes.

==================================

You could also try the Service Manager.

==================================

Once you trash an app and it's preference file, log out and back in. it should be gone from the Services menu.

Back