Could Apple/Pixar make video games

mi5moav

Registered
Will we ever see Apple and/or Pixar start creating video games. I know Pixar has licensed a few. But a few good in house games made specifically for the mac may bring some people over. Chess doesn't seem to be bringing over the masses anymore. And are there any smaller, great mac, pc publishers, creators that Apple could acquire like Microsoft did with our Bungie.

///////////////////////////..._ (MODI Corp. Predicting the future tomorrow)

mi5moav said:
Will we ever see Apple/Pixar start creating video games. I know Pixar has licensed a few. But a few good in house games made specifically for the mac may bring some people over. Chess doesn't seem to be bringing over the masses anymore. And are there any smaller/great mac/pc publishers/creators that Apple could acquire like Microsoft did with our Bungie.
There is no Apple/Pixar. Apple and Pixar are two different companies. Pixar produces entertainment content that can be the basis of video games. Apple does not. It would be the height of folly for Apple to enter the console market. Microsoft entered that market and is taking a bath. It will never make a profit on the original Xbox. Whether it makes a profit on the upcoming PPC-based Xbox remains to be seen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Pixar likely has licensing deals in place for the next few years of movies which go hand-in-hand with its movies deals. Maybe once they re-up with Disney or go with some other studio, they'd be able to do that.
But you're right. Apple should try and find some up-and-coming game company (as Bungie once was) and support it.

and or, and or basic question...where in there does it say console market??? Bungie is very profitable for Microsoft the xbox isn't... xbox/bungie are not the same thing. Second sentence..."I know Pixar has licensed a few" if in fact I thouht for one second that Apple owned or was a sub. of Pixar or vice versa I would have put either I know they licensed or Pixar/Apple licensed. Like a Ham/Cheese sandwich... it could mean Ham or Cheese Ham and Cheese but not Ham owns or is tied to Chesse or vice versa.

Is this entire website not speculation and or rumors or thoughts floating about. This is not a news site... these are rumors and opinions and discussions of rumors and opinions.

Apple doesn't own Pixar, and Pixar doesn't own Apple. Steve Jobs just happens to be CEO of Apple, and is also CEO (or another high-ranking position) for Pixar.

Pixar still has to negotiate deals with Apple and vice-versa. Just because Apple says, "Do it!" to Pixar doesn't mean they hop on it right away. As was said before, they are two completely different and independent companies. Pixar also does work for many, many other companies other than Apple.

What a tangled web Steve Jobs weaves.

I heard something of creating games fot the new XBox on a Powermac G5, because XBox soon will have a G5 too (or already has, i don't know). Well.. Then it's just a small step to make those same games for the Mac too.

senne said:
I heard something of creating games fot the new XBox on a Powermac G5, because XBox soon will have a G5 too (or already has, i don't know). Well.. Then it's just a small step to make those same games for the Mac too.
1. The XBox 2 will use a form of PPC chip, possibly dual core. It might be compatible with the G5 but won't necessarily be the G5.

2. I doubt it'll just be a "small step" to make those games for the Mac. The successor to Microsoft's DirectX will be a more unified development platform for XBox and Windows. So unless MS decides to release the same toolkit for OSX, it won't be so easy porting those games. But if they DO release it for OSX... good times :)

senne said:
ohyes, now i remember. Here are my sources:

- The Inquirer
- MacOSX.nl

In the future Sega will be using a G5 too.
Yeah, what's LEFT of Sega. Sega is now part of Sammy Studios. Yes, Sega looks to have gone the way of Atari. Only difference is, Sammy doesn't suck as much as Infogrames does.

damn, I still recall my Sega Master System, SEGA Genesis 16. I got sonic and some other games that Christmas, hard to believe they feel that far off. Nintendo better watch out, because they made some bad moves too, and with Microsoft entering as a real force, and Sony still having it on lock, time will tell.

I can see Pixar making games, the game industry is much bigger than the motion picture industry, just a matter of time.

A lil off topic, but my favorite game is back(not all time fav, recent fav), Prince of Persia 2, this will be a must have for me, preordering mine, because i still play the last one and it still seems new.

Actually, Nintendo has something Sega didn't have. A bigger following. Nintendo is the Apple of the game world. Underappreciated, innovative, not afraid to experiment. They will be here a while.

For future reference, Sony is the Microsoft with the largest following and worst of the three consoles. And Microsoft is the Linux. The niche. If you think about it, as weird as it sounds, it does fit.

Doesn't matter to me, I have all three. My Cube and Xbox are my faves. I have more Xbox games, but more unique cool different Cube games.

Problem is that many people thing of nintendo as to childish... when one thinks of nintendo they think Mario. They could have made some good Mafia games. I also think that Nintendos market share is probably bigger than apples... and if I remember from a few months back my broker telling me that their PE was really good. Sega is more or less a a software company now.

yep, Nintendo has the childish appearance, i have a gamecube, well i borrowed it from my 5 year old nephew, lol, so i guess you get the point. I wouldn't buy one for myself, so i use his.

I dunno about comparing Apple to Nintendo, Nintedo has charatchers that have deep rooted histories in the game world. Without those, Nintendo would be nothing, because they don't try to be innovative is there problem. Take the new hand held, the PSP will kill that, Nintendo's is just too damn big and clunky. They rely a lot on thier big name games to draw users to thier new system and not on making a killer system. I will always have a place for mario, that was the game that came bundled with my NES, along with Duck Hunt (glad a game came along where i could finally shoot that damn dog). Lets se a game cube that can't play DVDs, big mistake, so that is hardly innovative, because i'm not sure why they wouldn't see the potential of that little feature.

But Nintendo will be around for a while, not like neo Geo will come back, lol, Bonk Returns 2005. i'm mad i remember all that stuff, i'm getting old. Who cheated with Track and field, using your hands on that mat to always win. Tecmo Bowl... Contra... Excite Bike..... But i'm way off the topic. I will say i was outside more than kids these days. I played games when it was either too hot or raining or snowing. Other wise I'm outside all day having real fun, now those were the days.

I wish Microsoft would come out with legal emulator for the pc/mac for like 49.95 then I would actually play some games and wouldn't have to buy a xbox or playstation. Might be a good thing since instead of loosing money on each system microsoft would actually be making a couple bucks off me.

Back