Could Apple/Pixar make video games

I'm GLAD the Cube doesn't play DVD's. Who the hell needs ANOTHER DVD player? Everyone's already got one anyway. Now we have five!

The lack of DVD/CD playback makes the Cube what it is. A GAME CONSOLE. That's what it IS. A GAME MACHINE. Not a magic all-in-one do-everything super-fun-box. It also keeps costs low. $100 is damn good for a game console especially when the competition is $150. Before that, they were both $180 when the Cube came to $100. This was a smart move on Nintendo's part.

The PSP won't have a chance BECAUSE of Nintendo's current standing in the portable market. The big name. Parents will see the DS as the new Game Boy, despite what Nintendo says, and will buy it because it will play all their kids older games. The PSP doesn't have this. The second the DS comes out, it will have a library of over 1000 games. Instantly. The PSP will not. This was what has kept the Game Boy in top place since the beginning. It was the first. And every incarnation since then has played all the other games. Backwards compatibility and a huge library are what makes the GB and later on, the DS, succeed. In a way, the whole reason the DS will succeed is the same reason the PlayStation name has succeeded. Backwards Compatibility and a large library.

Well, that and the lower price point and earlier release. Though, those two aren't as big factors here since the Saturn was first and still lost to the PSX and the Cube is the cheapest yet is still in third place. So those two points aren't as important. But will help.

Just read this thread, some very good points. Like said, there is no way PSP will catch up with Nintendo.... DS will come out earlier, will have better games ( a lot of PSP games look like PS2 ports with dreamcast-like graphics ) , and will have the instant library. And remember who is buying a lot of these things, the fact that its coming out before Christmas, many many GBA-owning kids will get upgraded for a great little christmas present..... and then PSP will come out in March and be left in the dust.

As for Nintendo/Apple collaboration, like said there are definatey a whole lot of comparisons between the two, but I don't know how Apple could help Nintendo.......the only way would be to let Nintendo make a " Nintendo Revolution " , which is the newly introduced code name for nintendo's next system, emulator that ran exlusively on Macs, and Apple back Nintendo with On-Line features, maybe nintendo's online would have iChat capatibility, and would be able to use iSight and others for video chatting which both Microsoft and Sony are introducing in the Xbox and PS2 right now, among other things.

Also, for the console wars, I first owned a PS2 after trading in my dying Dreamcast, then traded that in for a Gamecube when Gamecube first came out. Gamecube at the time was lacking games, so I traded that in for an Xbox. I have been very unhappy since, Xbox lacks in "fun" games, Halo can only satisfy me for so long and once beaten and easiy beating multi-player competition, it lost my attention. I was lookin forward to Ninja Gaiden, but its poor camera control ruins the gameplay for me.......and the E3 version of Doom 3 was bad..........graphics aren't up to par with other games even though the PC version has the best graphics of any game yet, stuff had to be taken out to accomadate to the Xbox's mere 32 mb ram, and they said the framerate on the playable demo was horrific at best. That is why I have interestingly enough sold my old clamshell iBook, bought back a Gamecube (metallic - had a black before) and bought all the awesome titles. So many awesome games I have to think about 10 minutes before I decide what game I want to play......... Zelda: The Wind Waker (which is AWESOME ), Resident Evil 1 and Zero (Best Graphics - great games! ) , Mertroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes, Starfox Adventures, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Viewtiful Joe, Luigi's Mansion, and Mario Kart Double Dash among many others . All these games far outshine the games I had on Xbox and PS2, and trust me I had all the best games for each system. It puzzles me why people refuse to think Gamecube is a good console. Its sad that its come to where people have to have a all-in-one , it_must_play_every_format system, when its supposed to be a Game system. And with upcoming games like Starfox 2, Metroid Prime 2, Resident Evil 4, The New Legend of Zelda that was shown at E3 ( im going to miss the cartoony graphics - seriously theyre awesome!) Super Mario 128, Pikmin 2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, etc. its sure going to be a great end of the run for the Gamecube.

And an idea to propose, one that I've wanted to see go in action for quite some time. Anyone think it'd be completely awesome if Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony all combined into one massive gaming company? Then there would only be one console to buy instead of 3, one good console, one major-selling console, that had all the exclusive must-have titles of days before. It seems like a great idea to me.............its a everybody wins situation!

Oh and I believe Gamecube is number 2 now.......Microsoft doesnt have much a presence in Japan mind you. I read on sites and in a recent EGM that Nintendo's sold more Gamecubes worldwide then Microsoft has Xbox's as of now.......

Sorry for such a long post!

:)

That is true about the multiple DVDs, but we have a first generation DVD player that doesn't play burned DVDs or MP3s. So if the gamecube did that would be nice, because I'm sure not everyone has or had multiple DVD players.

Also... the game cube is just a ugly design, not something i would like to be next to my entertainment center. It sits on the floor in front of the big screen now... it's that original blue one, looks so damn cheap.

That portable Nintendo just seems so clunky, i'll say this though, which ever is capable of connecting to a computer much like an iPod to allow for storage of data and movies would be a plus. Because I know I would like one, and it would make a great travel device. You have your movies, music, games, TV, alarm, camera, pad features... and eventually a phone. This all in one device will be the next thing. Because i get sick of carrying multiple items, the prices will drop to the point that a device like this will fall within reason and become a norm. With a list of services that will become another monthly subscription. T-mobile TV, now thats scary but give it some time.

The Cube's look is STYLISH. Ever hards of a G4 Cube? I bet you hated that too! The Cube's design, GameCube mind you, is very stylish, and much nicer than the PS2 (Grill Face) or the Xbox (Mr. Dictionary). I love my Cube. I love how it looks. I love what it does.. Plays GAMES. Good games. Bad Games. All kinds of Games. Even Game Boy Games. It's a Game machine.

the g4 cube is stylish, the gamecube is crappy plastic, far from stylish. It's a ugly block, nothing high terch about it, the G4 Cube had flavor, and was innovative. The gamecube just takes up less space for packing and shipping wherever. So thats a plus for Nintendo, more units in less space. About 6 game cubes would have taken the space of 1 N64 box, big difference. But thats a business thing, users wouldn't care about those figures.

hmmmm, the N64 had a nice look, very strong and dominate appearance. The NES because of the closing door and push down cartridge and the laser gun, glove and floor pad, but thats what i loved about it way back when i was 5 or whatever.

The Gameboy SP is nice, now if it were a little wider for a wide-screen and had all the tech of the new device, I would really like that.

I always though my Genesis was cheap, especially that cheesy volume slider.

Nothing special about any of them.

Back