Could DropStuff crashing unexpectedly corrupt the original file?

hexstar

Registered
Hello, I installed Stuffit Deluxe 11.0.2 but didn't restart after the install was done like the installer suggested as usually that's just a bogus message in my experience and the installed program works fine without restarting, it doesn't seem like this is the case for Stuffit Deluxe. I tried stuffing a folder but DropStuff crashed after a bit and I can only assume it's because it was using some older Stuffit libraries from the previous version of Stuffit Deluxe that was installed and not completely removed because I hadn't restarted. My question is, could DropStuff crashing unexpectedly while stuffing/compressing a file corrupt the original file (the file being put into the archive, not the file in the archive)? Thanks! :)

contacted Stuffit tech support and this is what they said:

Response (Erik Ordel) 02/26/2007 11:35 AM
Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Smith Micro Software Technical Support. I assure you that Stuffit cannot damage any original file, unless it triggers some kind of horrible, bizarre issue with the Finder. Basically, any time DropStuff creates an archive, it makes a copy of the original file (which is put in an invisible temp directory), then compresses ONLY that copy of the data.

BTW, our installer really means it, when it tells you to log out or restart.

Sincerely,
Erik van den Ordel
Technical Support
Smith Micro Software, Inc.

Customer (John Musbach) 02/26/2007 09:20 AM
Hello, I installed Stuffit Deluxe 11.0.2 but didn't restart after the install was done like the installer suggested as usually that's just a bogus message in my experience and the installed program works fine without restarting, it doesn't seem like this is the case for Stuffit Deluxe. I tried stuffing a folder but DropStuff crashed after a bit and I can only assume it's because it was using some older Stuffit libraries from the previous version of Stuffit Deluxe that was installed and not completely removed because I hadn't restarted. My question is, could DropStuff crashing unexpectedly while stuffing/compressing a file corrupt the original file (the file being put into the archive, not the file in the archive)? Thanks! :)

so it looks like my files are safe afterall :)

And then you can download The Unarchiver (free) and never have to use Stuffit again, god willin'.

Back