CPU Fried - what can I do?

Graphorrhea

Registered
This is what happened:
I think these problems are related but I'm not sure.

I just got my iBook fixed so now my G5 decided to give me hell ...

Anyway, my G5 is freezing on startup when it reaches the log in window. I tried inserting DiskWarrior to repair the directory. However, I can't get the computer to boot with it. Neither will it boot with DiskGenius and the OS X 10.4 disks.

I tried a different keyboard before attempting to boot with the disks and it's not the keyboard.

I've added no new peripherals.

I added an update for Roxio's Toast and Stuffit Deluxe 12.0 yesterday and the freeze on log in started.

I finally got the computer to get past the log in once and was able to optimize first and repair permissions with Onyx. However, I was not able to reboot past the log in screen after I repaired permissions.

I did notice one of my drives making a high pitched squeak the other day but it hasn't since made that noise.

I've had to repair the volume several times lately and the size was incorrect every time. Does that mean that the HD is failing?

This is what caused it:
I discovered the problem. It was obvious but I didn't look at it before. One of my CPU's is fried. It's discolored and the other one is silver.

I do remember this happening to. I heard a low hum and thought it was feedback from my sound system.

This is one of my possible solutions:
I found instructions for removing the covers off the CPUs but mine doesn't look like the one in the picture, a solid cover over both. Is it done the same way on a Rev. A G5? How difficult is it to replace the CPU? And is the other one always damaged? How about the logic board - is it always damaged?

I've worked on 8500's, 9600's, and some on my G5, but have never removed anything major.

I heard that you need special calibration software which Apple technicians use.

Or this - expensive though
Or is this better to have a professional do?

It's no longer under warranty.

My last option is to get another laptop computer and use my 23 inch display with it.

Dual G5 Rev. A, 3.5GB RAM, 90 and 160GB HD's, APC Smart UPS 2200, 23in Cinema Display

This is one of my possible solutions:
I found instructions for removing the covers off the CPUs but mine doesn't look like the one in the picture, a solid cover over both. Is it done the same way on a Rev. A G5?
They all look the same on the outside, but are very different inside. The earlier versions have two fancy clip on CPU covers. Later models have one big cover.

How difficult is it to replace the CPU?
A properly seated CPU feels the same during installation as an improperly installed one. It is also VERY easy to damage the CPU during installation even being ultra careful.

And is the other one always damaged?
Seldom do CPUs go bad at the same time.

How about the logic board - is it always damaged?
No

I've worked on 8500's, 9600's, and some on my G5, but have never removed anything major.

I heard that you need special calibration software which Apple technicians use.
Yes, thermal calibration needs to be ran otherwise the fans run on high all the time.

Or this - expensive though
Or is this better to have a professional do?

Most times the G5 CPUs are more expensive than the logic boards. I highly recommend that a professional performs the repair.

If the warranty is already over you should do the repair job yourself but only if you are very experienced. I replaced a crashed hard drive from my iBook G4 and put screws in the wrong spots and the mother board completely fried. If you do not have much experience, like i didnt have, then you should take it to a professional.

Back