cpu upgradeable?

sinclair_tm

wow, 1.4g is way faster!
don't know if this is for hardware or here, but this is the intel mac section, so here i am. i know very little about these beasts, and have been asked some questions about the hardware. i have heard that some of the intel macs have the cpus in sockets, and therefore could be upgraded if someone was adventurous enouph to do it. so, my question is this, is this true, and which intel macs fall under this. and yes i know it would void the warranty, but i'm looking for longevity, like way after the warranty is over.

So far, I believe only the Mac minis have socketed CPUs, although the Intel-based iMacs may have them as well. I'm 100% sure that the minis have socketed CPUs, not so sure about the iMacs.

The portables (MacBook, MacBook Pro) do NOT have socketed CPUs.

Yes, the imac has a socket. I've seen photos from Macworld. However, good luck pulling the whole thing apart and kiss your warranty goodbye. A good idea if you want to try this would be to wait until your warranty runs out and CONSULT AN EXPERT ON MACS. Better yet, have them do it. As far as I know, you'd be able to go as far as a Core 2 duo. Anything faster than 2.16 GHZ. may not be supported on that logic board.

The mac mini is upgradeable with the CPU along with the iMac, but its a pain to get to either of their sockets. But somebody replaced a 1.66 Core Duo with the 2.16GHz Merom T740 and benchmarked it against a G5.

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/323

the Merom is 15% faster than the G5... :D and runs a lot cooler to boot.

Back