Create dvd movie disc from mpgs?

Chic0

aka Norman Gah
Hi Guys

I would like to copy some mpgs and avi files to a dvd so I can play them on my standalone dvd player. I already have Toast Titanium 5.2. Is it possible to use this program to do it or would I need to download something else?

thanks

Toast can burn the discs, but you need to convert the files before this is possible.

There used to be an article posted on this very site that showed you how to create SVCDs (playable on most DVD players) using freeware tools available --- but at the moment, the articles all seem to be gone...

brianleahy said:
Toast can burn the discs, but you need to convert the files before this is possible.

There used to be an article posted on this very site that showed you how to create SVCDs (playable on most DVD players) using freeware tools available --- but at the moment, the articles all seem to be gone...

Ok, I should be able to find the freeware to convert to svcd format.

cheers

You should note that an SVCD is primarily for use on CD-R, not DVD-R.

Try out iDVD -- it should have come with your computer if your computer shipped with a SuperDrive. You can make some simple menus for your DVD as well as organize the clips however you want them. Plus, it'll burn you a DVD that should play fine in your standalone DVD player.

I would recommend just getting Toast 6. It will encode any QuickTime video for you to DVD (mpeg-2). Just drag your MPEGs into the Video tab, select a low or high quality and burn. It automatically creates the menu and pagination for you. Way cool and easy.

Toast is my new favorite Quick and Dirty DVD creator. I do a lot of client demos on DVD and while iDVD and DVDSP are cool, they are overkill for just dropping a few thirty second TV spots for review to DVD. Yeah, it's ugly, no cool menus and such, but FAST. I have found the encoding quality to be just fine for general viewing.

If you need it to look better (menus, not video), I'd use iDVD.

Cheers ELdIABLO and Mindbend. I do have superdrive on my Powerbook but I thought that iDVD could only burn Quicktime movies to dvd? Most of the things I need to burn are mpgs and avis. I will try iDVD tonight and see how it goes, if not, I'll get hold of Toast 6.

Cheers for the help everyone! :)

Unfortunately, iDVD can only handle Quicktime. Quicktime Pro ($30 I think) can handle DiVX .avi with a free plugin, and Quicktime can usually save .avi as .mov. I say usually because it doesn't always work for me.

Doug

Back